Upgrading from PPC G5 to Intel Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Gone To Lunch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Upgrading from PPC G5 to Intel Mac

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Also, the outgoing G5 had 5 drives, one of which I emptied, so I can remove that to put it in the incoming MacPro, load new OS and then connect to outgoing Mac. Hence my questions about MA verses file copying, I could do either, but want to know which is best.

The 5 drives in outgoing Mac are 2 on board, both with OS, and 3 in a caddy, one empty. So I could move the drives into the incoming Mac one by one as they are emptied.
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Upgrading from PPC G5 to Intel Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

Gone To Lunch wrote:Also, the outgoing G5 had 5 drives, one of which I emptied, so I can remove that to put it in the incoming MacPro, load new OS and then connect to outgoing Mac. Hence my questions about MA verses file copying, I could do either, but want to know which is best.

The 5 drives in outgoing Mac are 2 on board, both with OS, and 3 in a caddy, one empty. So I could move the drives into the incoming Mac one by one as they are emptied.
Yes, no reason not to.

I will repeat the earlier recommendation to get an SSD for your Boot/System/Applications/DP drive. You do want great performance from the new system and an SSD combined with your new Mac will pleasantly blow you away. The Samsung 850 EVO is a safe, sure drive with a 5 year warranty and is available in capacities up to 2T, Enable T.R.I.M on the SSD by using the following command in Terminal: sudo trimforce enable and enter your password (OS 10.10.4 and later).

You can store libraries on other drives for now as well as Documents, Music, Photos etc.

Dedicate your largest HHD to Time Machine. Huge spinners up to 6T are ridiculously cheap; 8T and 10T are available. Beginning with OS 10.8, you can have multiple TM backups that rotate through one per hour. Once properly set up and indexed (indexing may take a few days), TM works completely in the background. I have one via eSATA on my desk, one in another room via Ethernet and a third in a hidden location via wireless. I don't believe that I am being overl cautious. Since you can hold up to four drives, if you have the room, you'd put one only in your Mac Pro, others should be in remote locations.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro