Late to the Yosemite "party", (w DP 8.07)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Late to the Yosemite "party", (w DP 8.07)

Post by stubbsonic »

My transition to Yosemite has had its ups and downs; but no major problems.

The main disappointments have been with OS 10.10.5 itself. There are two significant bugs; one in Mail, and another one in iCal; both with commonly used functions, but both with workarounds. YouTube vids in Safari now look like they aren't supported correctly (but they work after a couple clicks). Still, generally, it's all working. On my RMBP, I haven't had the built-in trackpad & keyboard stop working (as it had occasionally done with Mavericks).

So far, DP 8.07 crashes more frequently, but only when opening projects; fortunately, it usually works on the 2nd attempt. Otherwise, DP has been stable. One of the projects (correctly) had a "missing tracks" dialog, and I think if I clicked OK too quickly it would crash DP. It seemed if I waited a little longer before clicking OK, it would be fine. (However, that might be a red herring). With these crashes I get an Apple crash report, but not one for MOTU.

I made an external drive with a several partitions and clean installs of different OS version on each. I'm not sure if/how I'll use those, but at least if I need to, I can build little custom start-ups in a pinch.

I discovered one useful feature: if I hold OPTION while looking at the file menu, it toggles back to the "Save As..." rather than the "duplicate". I don't know if that is a Yosemite thing, or if I just missed it before, but it is a big relief to have Save as... back.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: Late to the Yosemite "party", (w DP 8.07)

Post by mikehalloran »

For some reason, nearly every build of DP before 9 crashes the very first time I boot after installing but never does so again. Weird but I consider it normal behavior. Once properly installed and conflicts resolved, that is...

Open Console to see why DP is crashing on the first attempt. It should reveal that a) something is trying to load that shouldn't or b) something isn't loading that should, normally the Mackie HUI plugin. DP, like many other apps, will stop trying to load the offending libraries on subsequent attempts but, if (b) will not be quite right.

If (a), it will be something really old that should be found and removed from your system. Less likely, some shareware or freeware that didn't follow the Apple Toolkit like the Bresink crapware.

If (b), reinstall DP, reboot and run Permissions Repair from Disk Utility. Check Console, if not fixed, repeat.

I experienced both problems. In the case of (a), it was the HP Print Utility from 2005 and the Finale 2009 Help files. In the case of (b), I experienced that with a few builds—I don't remember which. I had to reinstall three times to get the HUI plug to load but eventually it worked and the crashing stopped. This was a much bigger problem in Mavericks but I experienced it once in Yosemite; it may have been 8.07.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Mike. That's super clear. I'll go through those steps. I'll report back when I have time to test.

I very much appreciate your help.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If (b) should something look like the Console readout in this newer thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=61632

Note the Mackie plug not loading. Sometimes, that's the only clue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro