Can I connect two MacPros and use one monitor?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can I connect two MacPros and use one monitor?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I think I know. The second computer doesn't have a monitor. That's why I was looking for a one monitor solution. So even logging in to that computer without a monitor, password etc, is problematic.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Henry Robinett wrote:I think I know. The second computer doesn't have a monitor. That's why I was looking for a one monitor solution. So even logging in to that computer without a monitor, password etc, is problematic.

All the best,
http://www.henryrobinett.com
Shouldn't be. Two of the five Macs I use do not have a monitor, and I always use screen sharing to access them. Once connected to one of the Mac without a monitor, I even use screen sharing on one of them to access yet another. E.g. I control a Mac Mini without a monitor with screen sharing from a MBP. Then I use the Mini to establish screen sharing to access an iMac.

When I first started doing this, I do recall an older Mac Mini complaining that it didn't have a keyboard or monitor on startup. I don't recall how, but I told it to proceed anyway, and that problem didn't recur.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

How do I log in to the second computer with the password? That's encouraging. Do I have to reboot in a certain order?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Make sure the second computer is running, connected to your network (e.g. on WIFI, with ethernet enabled, etc), and has screen sharing enabled with a ID and PW that can be entered from the first computer.

On the first computer, in the Finder, look for the name of the computer in the list of items under "Shared" in the left column. If there is nothing there, hover over the word Shared and make sure the list is not hidden. Click on the Mac you want to get to. You should see options to Connect and to Screen Share. Clicking on Screen Share will get a prompt to log on the other Mac with a User ID and PW that corresponds to and account on that Mac. You have to first make sure the second Mac has this account and PW listed in the Sharing options in its System Preferences.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

bayswater wrote:Make sure the second computer is running, connected to your network (e.g. on WIFI, with ethernet enabled, etc), and has screen sharing enabled with a ID and PW that can be entered from the first computer.

On the first computer, in the Finder, look for the name of the computer in the list of items under "Shared" in the left column. If there is nothing there, hover over the word Shared and make sure the list is not hidden. Click on the Mac you want to get to. You should see options to Connect and to Screen Share. Clicking on Screen Share will get a prompt to log on the other Mac with a User ID and PW that corresponds to and account on that Mac. You have to first make sure the second Mac has this account and PW listed in the Sharing options in its System Preferences.
This is all VERY helpful. Thank you. But I can see what the problem is. I have no monitor for the second computer. So I have to set this 2nd Mac up FIRST. I have to go to Sharing on THAT Mac, right? So I'll have to disconnect the monitor from the first to set up the 2nd Mac, then disconnect the monitor and set it back to the 1st. Not an impossible task, even for a lazy person like myself! OR i can get the KVM Switch, which I should do anyway. Cheaper than buy another monitor.

But wait. You said "On the first computer, in the Finder, look for the name of the computer in the list of items under "Shared" in the left column." HM. I dont see SHARED in the left column and I don't see where it is in the view options.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

The first is set up with ethernet. The network panel says self assigned. The other says "connected." It's connected to the internet/cable.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, you will have to set up the Macs you want to connect to with monitor, mouse and keyboard at least once to get the sharing set up in the system preferences.

If "Shared" does not appear, it might be because the way it is displayed depends on the OS version. Using 10.10, a list under that heading appears. It not under Shared, the other Macs on a network will appear in the sidebar of a Finder window. You might have to set that up in Finder preferences to make them appear.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Wow!! Ok. Success. I think. Awesomeness. Thanks
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Henry Robinett wrote:Wow!! Ok. Success. I think. Awesomeness. Thanks
Super. It's a great feature you can use to do a lot of stuff once you get used to it.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Initial reaction is its slow. Does it run slow? How would that work using it as a VI machine? At this point I don't think I have enough VIs to warrant it, but I have enough if everything else that can be put to good use. I have several Metric Halo and even MOTU 2408mkII interfaces.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Not in my experience. I use wifi or ethernet for the screen connections and find the overhead used by screen sharing is very low, and doesn't noticeably affect the performance of either Mac.

My most frequent use with audio is to use a UAD-1 and some older plugins on a G5 that won't run on an iMac. I use ADAT to move the audio back and forth between the iMac and G5. If you used ethernet for the audio connections, I suppose things could get congested. The screen updates can be slow, but there are some options that trade of the speed of screen updates with clarity.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Yeah. The screen updates. That shouldn't effect performance. I'm excited in any event. Thanks for helping me out and holding my hands through this guys!

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I'm assuming I have to split the ilok keys. That even though they're connected and DP9 is running from Mac1, if I have a bunch of VIs that require the ilok from Mac2, I have to have the ilok in Mac2. It won't read it from Mac 1. Right?

And I'd need to have DP open (or some DAW) to access the VIs. Sorry. Thinking out loud.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, authorization for each Mac is required. A lot of plugins allow multiple CPUs and let you authorize the computer instead of an iLok. You can host plugins on Mac 2 with a DAW or something like DSP-Quattro, or even a free utility that does nothing but plugin hosting.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote:Hey, Henry!

The cost of the KVM switcher varies depending on whether you get one for an hdmi monitor or a VGA monitor. At first, i bought a cheap VGA switcher and tried to attach an adapter to hook it up to the hdmi monitor. This failed, so I went back and spent a little more on an hdmi monitor. I bought the IOGEAR 2-Port HD Cable KVM Switch with Audio GCS62HU (Black) from Amazon for $54.99.

You connect the the mouse, keyboard, and monitor to the switcher. Then USB cables go from the switcher to each mac and a hdmi cable goes from the switcher to each mac. The cables are all included with the switcher. I connect the two macs directly with an ethernet cable.

Doug
Hey Doug! I got the USB KVM Switcher from I/0 Gear, not the HD version. GCS632U. Tonight or tomorrow, or both most likely, I should have time to mess with it. But it looks like I have the wrong monitor cables, right? I'm actually using s Samsung monitor, but I need an adaptor, right? I bet I have one here. What is it? A VGA to Apple monitor?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett