Can I connect two MacPros and use one monitor?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I connect two MacPros and use one monitor?

Post by Henry Robinett »

That's about the question. I have two MacPros, almost identical - Quad 2.8. One monitor bit the dust. I think I might be able to gain some efficiency by connecting or using one as a slave. One could have a different OS or just be a VI machine or something. I haven't thought it through, but it seems like there'd be some possibilities. The other Mac is just sitting here . . .

If so how would I do this? Is that what Networking is?? :) Ethernet cable? Bluetooth?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Re: Can I connect two MacPros and use one monitor?

Post by bayswater »

I have two Mac connected via Ethernet, and use Screen Sharing to show the screen of the secondary Mac on the screen of the primary Mac. You can set it up using a separate "Space" to show the secondary Mac. Then you can switch to it quickly using the hot keys for the Apple Spaces feature.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

For about 60 or 70 bucks you can purchase a KVM switcher (on Amazon or elsewhere) which will allow you to control two Macs from one mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I just click the little switch to go back and forth from one Mac to the other. KVM stands for Keyboard, Video monitor, Mouse.... DP keeps running fine when I switch over to control the other Mac.

Doug
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote:For about 60 or 70 bucks you can purchase a KVM switcher (on Amazon or elsewhere) which will allow you to control two Macs from one mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I just click the little switch to go back and forth from one Mac to the other. KVM stands for Keyboard, Video monitor, Mouse.... DP keeps running fine when I switch over to control the other Mac.

Doug
Both of those sounds great. The KVM switchers I found on Amazon were considerably less than $60. More like $20. It uses USB? Not ethernet? I thought maybe these guys would connect through ethernet. Unless I haven't found the $6070 ones.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

I've been looking at getting a KVM switch also.

I have a Belkin KVM that I used previously, but misplaced the switcher button thingy. :?

IO gear has a cheapy for about $17, but may not work if you have a wireless mouse. Then there is DVI, or DVI-D instead of VGA monitor connectors. I'm sure there are some that are USB 3?
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Henry Robinett wrote: One could have a different OS or just be a VI machine or something. I haven't thought it through, but it seems like there'd be some possibilities. The other Mac is just sitting here . . .

If so how would I do this? Is that what Networking is?? :) Ethernet cable? Bluetooth?
Ethernet and Vienna Ensemble Pro, use the second Mac as a VI host.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

How do you hook it up to Ethernet? Is it self explanatory? This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe using the second Mac as an instrument.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Henry Robinett wrote:How do you hook it up to Ethernet? Is it self explanatory? This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe using the second Mac as an instrument.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSLEnsPro-e
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Hey, Henry!

The cost of the KVM switcher varies depending on whether you get one for an hdmi monitor or a VGA monitor. At first, i bought a cheap VGA switcher and tried to attach an adapter to hook it up to the hdmi monitor. This failed, so I went back and spent a little more on an hdmi monitor. I bought the IOGEAR 2-Port HD Cable KVM Switch with Audio GCS62HU (Black) from Amazon for $54.99.

You connect the the mouse, keyboard, and monitor to the switcher. Then USB cables go from the switcher to each mac and a hdmi cable goes from the switcher to each mac. The cables are all included with the switcher. I connect the two macs directly with an ethernet cable.

Doug
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

HCMarkus wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:How do you hook it up to Ethernet? Is it self explanatory? This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe using the second Mac as an instrument.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSLEnsPro-e
OK, cool. But I didn't see where it explained how to hook the two computers together using one monitor via ethernet.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Henry Robinett wrote:OK, cool. But I didn't see where it explained how to hook the two computers together using one monitor via ethernet.
Run an ethernet cable from one Mac to the other. Open Sharing preferences on one of the Mac and enable screen sharing. Look at how the Mac is identified and the user ID and password it will want to share it's screen. On the other Mac, select the first Mac from Devices in the Finder, and click on the button to share its screen, and enter the required ID and PW.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

bayswater wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:OK, cool. But I didn't see where it explained how to hook the two computers together using one monitor via ethernet.
Run an ethernet cable from one Mac to the other. Open Sharing preferences on one of the Mac and enable screen sharing. Look at how the Mac is identified and the user ID and password it will want to share it's screen. On the other Mac, select the first Mac from Devices in the Finder, and click on the button to share its screen, and enter the required ID and PW.
YES!! Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Thank you.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
Should be Shared Menu (in OS 10.10) not Device Menu.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Ok. I'm finally trying to get this to work. I think the problem is they both have the same name and password. Im just starting to mess with it though.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Henry Robinett wrote:Ok. I'm finally trying to get this to work. I think the problem is they both have the same name and password. Im just starting to mess with it though.
I have 5 Macs all with the same ID and PW, and run screen sharing among them. I don't think that should be a problem.