Would Like To Remove Old Startup Drive, But...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Would Like To Remove Old Startup Drive, But...

Post by buzzsmith »

I have 4 drives in the drive bays of my 2009 MacPro...

1. The newer SSD running 10.8.5 which has been my only startup drive for the past 7 or 8 months.

2. The older startup drive (Macintosh HD) which I kept online as there were 2 apps that I needed daily. (Since replaced.)

3. My primary Audio drive.

4. The VIs and Plugins drive.

I was thinking about replacing the Mac HD drive with another SSD for either the VIs or maybe a second Audio drive, but when I first startup (nothing except the Finder active) I can't eject the Mac HD. I get the "one or more programs may be using it" dialog window.

How would I see what files the system is apparently using from the older drive?

Would it be safe to remove the drive from the drive bay and then reboot?

Thanks...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Would Like To Remove Old Startup Drive, But...

Post by mikehalloran »

You might have something old that loads on startup. You can check your startup items and Preference Panes to see. I found an old Epson utility hanging up my daughter's recently — she hadn't had that printer since 2005. You never know till you search.

Try a force quit. This normally displays all running programs. Some Toolbar apps will not show up such as Dropbox, Dragon for Mac. Print utilities won't. Kontakt loads a utility that doesn't show up, too.

Don't worry about it. Shut down, remove the drive and reboot. If it is important, you'll know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro