Thunderbolt Port Question

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Thunderbolt Port Question

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

As noted in my signature, I have a late 2012 Mac Mini. Because it's (now) an older model, it has the older Thunderbolt port. Right now, I'm not using it. However, I'm wishing to connect a Thunderbolt based SSD enclosure to it. It seems that most Thunderbolt HDD/SSD enclosures are Thunderbolt type 2.

Can Thunderbolt type 2 enclosures effectively run off the older (and slower) Thunderbolt port of my happy yet aging 2012 Mac Mini?
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Re: Thunderbolt Port Question

Post by mikehalloran »

All reports are that TB 1 is forward compatible with TB 2 and that the reverse is also true.

TB 2 devices will step down to to TB 1 speeds. In this case, speed is not an issue – you will be limited to the transfer speed of the device inside, slower than either TB 1 or 2 (but still a lot faster than a mechanical HD). For maximum speed, you will need multiple drives configured in RAID.

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer of the peripheral and ask.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zuul-studios

Re: Thunderbolt Port Question

Post by zuul-studios »

Thank you, Mike. The information that you share is always appreciated. (Before I commit to purchasing a Thunderbolt enclosure, I will ask the manufacturer. I'd just though I'd ask here first because, well, you guys are simply a great source of information.)

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.