Number of thunderbolt ports?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

musicman691

Number of thunderbolt ports?

Post by musicman691 »

How can I tell if my iMac's two Thunderbolt ports are on separate data streams or just jumper-connected together and fed off one data stream? I know the USB2 ports on the back are all off the same stream. The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be doing some reconfiguration of my system with adding some more h/w on the TB ports. Depending on exactly what I get I may end up with more than the usual 6 peripherals that can be fed off one TB port/stream. I'd like to know before I start ordering drives and such.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Number of thunderbolt ports?

Post by mikehalloran »

TB works differently than USB and FW. It depends on the peripherals and the order in which you want to run them.

Theoretically, you can run up to six per port but this doesn't always work. The 828x, for example, has only one port and can't be daisy-chained (MOTU did that to keep costs down). When in doubt, ask the peripheral makers.

If you have a monitor as part of the chain, it must be last.

It reminds me of SCSI but without a terminator.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:TB works differently than USB and FW. It depends on the peripherals and the order in which you want to run them.

Theoretically, you can run up to six per port but this doesn't always work. The 828x, for example, has only one port and can't be daisy-chained (MOTU did that to keep costs down). When in doubt, ask the peripheral makers.

If you have a monitor as part of the chain, it must be last.

It reminds me of SCSI but without a terminator.
No monitor except for the screen in the iMac. This would be multiple drives and an Apogee Ensemble. All possible peripherals have dual TB ports.

The question still stands though - how do I tell if the two TB ports on my iMac are separate data streams or like the USB2 ports on the same machine that are all fed off the same data stream?

Ah SCSI - now that brings back memories :shake:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The question still stands though - how do I tell if the two TB ports on my iMac are separate data streams or like the USB2 ports on the same machine that are all fed off the same data stream?
I'd say Deep Google.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

HCMarkus wrote:
I'd say Deep Google.
I already tried Google and found nothing to answer the question I'm asking - not even from Apple themselves. That's why I'm asking here - I figured someone here would be able to provide the answer without snark.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I already gave the correct answer. Rephrasing the question will not change it.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Snark: providing the correct answer that still doesn't satisfy. lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:I already gave the correct answer. Rephrasing the question will not change it.
You did not give the answer. You gave a generic answer that one can run up to 6 devices per a TB port; you didn't directly answer the original question on how can I tell if they are indeed two independent ports or not.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Snark: providing the correct answer that still doesn't satisfy. lol
HCMarkus didn't provide an answer; he just responded with something called 'deep google'. When someone asks a question there's no need to answer in riddles or with snark.

But what the hell - you all know the answers and beware the poor person who doesn't and dares to ask a question; not everybody is a genius and there are those that come here asking valid questions and expecting straight answers without the 'tude.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shame on you Halloran! You tried to help by answering but you failed to please. Oh, the inhumanity. So I'll say it for the participants:

THANK YOU!

See, that wasn't so hard.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Shame on you Halloran! You tried to help by answering but you failed to please. Oh, the inhumanity. So I'll say it for the participants:

THANK YOU!

See, that wasn't so hard.
I knew the two Mikes would stick together like glue. I asked a question that he didn't answer and he answered a question I didn't ask.

But no worries - I now know not to ask such stupid questions here any more.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Snark is in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't know the answer. Still don't. Just suggested what I'd do if I needed to know.

No need to get testy.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Far be it for me to butt in here, but Mike H answered a different question than the OP asked.

Mike answered this question:

How many peripherals can be run on a TB chain and is there a specific order that they should be run in?

The question was very clearly written. I'm curious about this too. So I'll rephrase it:

My RMBP has two TB ports. I know I can run 6 devices on the TB bus. Would that be 6 devices per port, or do the two ports share the same bus?

That's the question mm691 was asking, as I read it. I only did a quick google and didn't really turn up a clear answer. I'd suggest talking to a "genius" at an apple store. I think that can still be done for no charge.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

For shits and giggles, I did some "Deep Googling". DId I find the answer? Not sure, but looks like deductions can be made. I leave that to the OP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbo ... el_1_E.png

There are 2 and 4 channel TB controllers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Table shows Lightridge 4 channel controllers were introduced in Q4 2010.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163773 ... chain.html

"For your reference: The iMac (Mid 2011) uses the same Light Ridge Thunderbolt controller as the MacBook Pro, but the iMac has two Thunderbolt ports and offers up to four bi-directional, 10Gbps channels. The MacBook Air (Mid 2011) uses an Eagle Peak Thunderbolt controller that allows for two bi-directional 10Gbps channels."
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I did give the correct answer. By assuming there is a Thunderbolt bus a la FW and USB, you asked the wrong question.

The correct question: How many TB devices can I run on an iMac with two TB ports? See? Simple, direct and relevant to your situation.

The correct answer: It depends. The theoretical limit is 6 per port. Contact the device manufacturers to see if they work correctly – many don't.

(Am i incorrect that you can multiply 2x6 = 12?)

Please refrain from back channeling me with your usual rants when you disagree. I don't read them nor will I look at this thread again.