MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan drops support for CoreAudio Firewire

Post by James Steele »

nk_e wrote:Here is an article on how to turn SIP on and off.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/10/21/ ... ou.130954/

Good info in here and a helpful perspective. I feel less annoyed.
Thanks. I think this might be the key to getting the old AlphaTrack USB driver working under El Cap. That's the deal killer for me right now. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

HCMarkus wrote:The "Computer as an Appliance" is an approach with which I concur, especially in a recording studio. When DP works perfectly under a computer's OS, "upgrading" that OS for the sake of functionality that has nothing to do with DAW workflow is fraught with potential perils.
Which is why I'm still on Mavericks.

As for Apple, Yosemite will probably be the end of the line for me if they continue to go the direction of locking down my computers. Of course the problem is Windows 10 seems to be going down a similar path, so we might have some rather bleak choices in a few years.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just an update. I did a clean install of El Cap (10.11.1) on a test partition and after much hair pulling, it seems I figured out a process to get AlphaTrack working—at least as you can see from the graphic below, it is now recognized. The installer doesn't work, it involves manually copying components to the proper location, as well as a special way to install the FrontierDesignAlphaTrack.kext file.

I did disable SIP prior to working out this procedure. I'm not sure it is necessary. I'm going to try to repeat this with SIP enabled. If that doesn't work, with any luck SIP can be re-enabled AFTER successful install. I hope to follow up with specific instructions soon.

EDIT: I should hasten to add that I have not yet confirmed that it will work with DP 9.01 and the 64-bit control surface bundle, but I'm very optimistic.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It depends where that .kxt file is located. You might get lucky. That would be nice.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:It depends where that .kxt file is located. You might get lucky. That would be nice.
Yep. By way of follow-up, the AlphaTrack driver will not load if I re-enable SIP so I have to leave it off. I'm prepared to do that though as I don't load suspect software on my studio Mac. What bugs me is from what I gather these kexts have to be signed by current developers that belong to the Apple Developer program. So if a company goes out of business like Frontier and it's developer account lapses or whatever, a seemingly functional driver just won't work. I wish Apple had some sort of provision for reputable legacy developers if this is all the issue is.

I also found the latest beta 3 MOTU MIDI drivers for El Cap seem to work with my USB MTP/AV and MIDI data is being properly routed out the correct cables, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What is stopping the mfg( developing a compatible driver? If the device is discontinued, I'd look to the mfg to make it compatible again.:
I've asked that question a couple of times directly to makers. The answer is sometimes that there is no money in it for them. The other answer is that some functions can be burned into the hardware or put in a driver. It can be cheaper to do the former but they take the risk of becoming obsolete. I don't know whether either applies here but I'd note that motu appears to have planned well, and their recent hybrid versions seem to have read the writing on the wall.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Interesting. This FireWire support issue may explain why after installing El Cap, I might have had some glitches last night with my Liquid Mix, which has been working with 32 Lives. It settled down now but I'm keeping an eye on it.

SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

billf wrote:Yosemite will probably be the end of the line for me if they continue to go the direction of locking down my computers. Of course the problem is Windows 10 seems to be going down a similar path, so we might have some rather bleak choices in a few years.
So...DP for linux? They could probably salvage much of the UI code using GnuStep. :surrender:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Based on what people are saying, it sounds like RME Firewire devices should be OK too.

When I upgraded to the Fireface UCX though, I went USB right away, as they also write their own USB drivers and the specs are so close on that model to the Firewire performance. I haven't regretted the move but did consider switching back to Firewire at one point, then noticed those drivers don't seem to be upgraded as often and that you have to be connected via USB to do the Firewire updates anyway, amongst other things that make it clear where RME thinks things are headed. All power to them for doing such a robust job of both for so long now though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH