1password

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

1password

Post by bayswater »

Does anyone use this? It looks very popular, seems like a perpetual best seller, but I can't see how it's much different from Keychain. What makes it worth $50? Is there a significant risk of losing all your passwords if it dies? Does the syncing across platforms open the possibility of a hackable vendor database?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: 1password

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same here. Kind of like buying a little air freshener for your car if it doesn't smell bad. Yeah, it might be a little more pleasant, but then again, the smell might just be extra stuff you don't need. I never saw the logic in buying 1PW, given Keychain, and browsers remembering passwords. The master pw idea does make some sense if you're always having to remember such things. I rarely have to enter passwords manually anymore, even in my iphone.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I created a hidden file that I use if I need to remember things – then I changed the extension. One would have to know it's there, the name and the correct extension to crack it. I am not worried.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I created a hidden file that I use if I need to remember things – then I changed the extension. One would have to know it's there, the name and the correct extension to crack it. I am not worried.
That seems enough to me. If you need more, you can put a password on the file, put it in a zip and password protect that, put the zip in a password protected dmg, and put that in a password protected rar.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I created a hidden file that I use if I need to remember things – then I changed the extension. One would have to know it's there, the name and the correct extension to crack it. I am not worried.
That seems enough to me. If you need more, you can put a password on the file, put it in a zip and password protect that, put the zip in a password protected dmg, and put that in a password protected rar.
No kidding. To quote Gilbert, "I may be a fool but there's a limit to my folly."
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Or you could just grep the system for certain words and one may notice that odd file and look further...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Or as long as OSX keeps the dashboard around:
http://macwidgets.jpn.org/secretnotepadplus/
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I picked up 1password for the iPad for free about a year ago. I messed with it for weeks trying to figure out why I needed it, but I just ended up deleting it.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:
LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
arthurputy

1password

Post by arthurputy »

I use 1password. I swear by it. I put everything in there. Software licenses, secure notes, all manner of passwords, cards etc. When I rebuild any of my systems OSX or iOS it's the first thing I install (after Dropbox) and then I'm off. Are there other products that do the same ? Sure. Lots. Is it worth the money? I think so. I prefer to buy the software outright vs. subscription based as many are. But that's just me. The software is very well built. Sync works without issue. Integrates with increasing number of apps. Integrates well with touchID. The Dev is very active. Very friendly/responsive. Not saying you need it or should run out and buy it but I rate it highly. Ultimately I'd rather spend the money to support a security product vs a free or homebrew solution. In terms of free solutions though keepass is pretty solid I think. Not sure if they have a mobile solution.

One nice thing 1password does is provides alerts to change passwords if there has been a vulnerability alert with certain websites for example (such as Evernote not that long ago). Also let's you know if your passwords are stale or overused etc. Generates complex passwords for you also. (All not unique to 1password but again well implemented)

Oh and most importantly. Their "vault" is highly encrypted. Which is kind of the whole point. This is of course all relative to your level of paranoia. Personally having worked in InfoSec for many years I know very well what's possible from an intrusion perspective and couldn't feel comfortable storing sensitive information in a store which wasn't highly encrypted and maintained.

Security is always a painful balancing act between convenience and complexity. I find 1password to be a super tool for helping in that.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mark, thanks for the input. Other than the alerts on possible breaches etc, does it do anything on top of, or do it better than what keychain does? I suppose creating the password itself is one thing, but what else?
arthurputy

Post by arthurputy »

Mutlplatform/multibrowser support would be the most concrete difference I can think of. Else if you are OSX/IOS/Safari only then I think you would be more than fine with Keychain. I'd just add that Keychain is I believe limited to just passwords and credit cards. In 1Password you can put pretty much anything and I find the menu/browser addon(s) really helpful and call on them constantly without even thinking about it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Keychain does Secure Notes. I assume that's where you would put licenses and other items that can be dragged into a note.
arthurputy

1password

Post by arthurputy »

That's cool to know! I'm no key chain expert. I wouldn't even know how to access it on my iPhone. In the end if you don't leave the Apple Eco then it seems key chain is more than capable. Admittedly I've been using 1p since before key chain existed so I'm just used to counting on it. That being said I used Alfred up until Yosemite and then found spotlight did enough for me and stopped. For whatever(seemingly unconvincing) reasons keychain hasn't had the same effect (yet?). But I guess it's a different story when you've already shelled out the money lol. Either way you'll be in a much better place in comparison to some of the approaches I've seen.

Ps. You guys see that rangers/jays game? I'm no baseball fanatic but wow! Amazing game!

Mark
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

arthurputy wrote:Ps. You guys see that rangers/jays game? I'm no baseball fanatic but wow! Amazing game!
You can't avoid it here.