Mirrored Monitors for Iso Booths

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mirrored Monitors for Iso Booths

Post by wonder »

I have 3-4 rooms I'd like to mirror the display in the control room.

The rooms are about 20-30+ ft from each other.

Is there a way to send out the monitor signal to multiple monitors so the people in the booths can see the screen? Would I need some sort of monitor distribution amp or signal splitter?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Re: Mirrored Monitors for Iso Booths

Post by mikehalloran »

wonder wrote:I have 3-4 rooms I'd like to mirror the display in the control room.

The rooms are about 20-30+ ft from each other.

Is there a way to send out the monitor signal to multiple monitors so the people in the booths can see the screen? Would I need some sort of monitor distribution amp or signal splitter?
Yes, this can be done; it's in the OS. The Displays control panel can be set to Display Mirroring On

Most Macs can run 2 monitors without additional hardware besides the cable and (possibly) an adapter. You can add PCIe cards.

The new Mac Pro can run up to 6.

The rest of us can add additional monitors via USB –– that adapter runs about $50. They all use the same freeware. This works ok in Mavericks and earlier but very well in Yosemite 10.10.4 and later.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This thread has a lot more information:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... or#p506252
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm aware of multiple monitors as I run 2 in my control room.

I guess my question is more of ... do I need some sort of signal amplification if I'm running the signals to rooms beyond XX feet?

Control Room: 1. 32 inch Apple Cinema Display 2. 48 inch LED Westinghouse TV (hdmi)
ISO Booth 1: 20 inch Apple Cinema Display
ISO Booth 2: Samsung Widescreen Display
Live Room: Small LED TV

The max space between the Mac Pro and the furthest display is approximately 30-50 feet, I'm guessing.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Newer monitors are HDMI and are what you want – any adapter you can think of is being made.

Powered HDMI cables exist if you need really long distances. What is "long distance"? I can't answer that.

So what you want is doable. Since non-powered 30 & 50' cables are readily available, I'd try those first.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

my studio has two mirrored monitors, one in the control room and one in the live room. In addition, my computer is in a third "machine room." I used to use the very expensive Geffen cat 5 extenders, for DVI to the monitors. Those would fail and I'd have to buy them again and again, but no longer! A couple months ago I purchased a new HDMI extension system made/sold by Monoprice. I'm not at the computer so I don't have a link, but they're easy enough to look up. It has a transmitter with four cat6 outputs. And it comes with all four receivers, though I'm only using two. My computer has a DVI output, but it's interchangeable with HDMI, I just use a cable that converts. This thing works perfectly, as long as the displays have the same resolution. For me it's nice that I have the extra receivers in case one breaks.

And the best part last.. $170. :D
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Killahurts wrote:my studio has two mirrored monitors, one in the control room and one in the live room. In addition, my computer is in a third "machine room." I used to use the very expensive Geffen cat 5 extenders, for DVI to the monitors. Those would fail and I'd have to buy them again and again, but no longer! A couple months ago I purchased a new HDMI extension system made/sold by Monoprice. I'm not at the computer so I don't have a link, but they're easy enough to look up. It has a transmitter with four cat6 outputs. And it comes with all four receivers, though I'm only using two. My computer has a DVI output, but it's interchangeable with HDMI, I just use a cable that converts. This thing works perfectly, as long as the displays have the same resolution. For me it's nice that I have the extra receivers in case one breaks.

And the best part last.. $170. :D

Awesome.

Something like this?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Actually, this:

Hope that link works, I'm on an iPad and I never posted a link before..

The one you posted is just an extender for a single HDMI, mine is a splitter/extender/amplifier.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Killahurts wrote:Actually, this:

Hope that link works, I'm on an iPad and I never posted a link before..

The one you posted is just an extender for a single HDMI, mine is a splitter/extender/amplifier.
Worked. That looks like exactly what I need. Thanks!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

You bet! :)