A second life for my 8Pre Firewire using ADAT?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

superleccy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A second life for my 8Pre Firewire using ADAT?

Post by superleccy »

Hi

Been using my trusty 8 Pre Firewire since 2007, and now it is time to upgrade my 2009 MacBook Pro to something shiny and new. I'm probably going for an iMac 27" Retina iMac once I've saved enough.

But of course, there's no Firewire on the new iMac. And, threads on here suggest that getting my old Firewire 8Pre to work with Thunderbolt via Apple's converter is unlikely to be successful. Hence, I'm resigning myself to getting a new Audio interface too.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=51524

So, if I get (say) the current USB 8Pre, can I daisy-chain my old 8 Pre to it via ADAT to give myself 16 inputs? That'd come in mightily handy for recording drums, and would also mean I don't need to consign my old 8Pre to the landfill just yet.

Sorry if this is an obvious question... but I've never actually used ADAT.

Cheers
SL
mikehalloran

Re: A second life for my 8Pre Firewire using ADAT?

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes you can. The 8pre can be used as an expander for many MOTU units with ADAT optical in. You'll need to buy an optical cable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
superleccy

Re: A second life for my 8Pre Firewire using ADAT?

Post by superleccy »

Great news. I'd assumed as much, but good to have it confirmed. Thanks very much!!!