After installing a driver, i can't click on anything

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

ec_pat5150
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

After installing a driver, i can't click on anything

Post by ec_pat5150 »

Hey there. my situation is strange and I will try and explain in as few words as possible.

I recently upgraded my OS from 10.4 to 10.6.3. Everything went smoothly with no issues. My Mac Pro doesn't have the airport option so i bought a wireless USB adapter so i can download software updates. I installed Superior Drummer 2.4, and then installed the wireless USB adapter (which is a Bolse 11N 300Mbps). I restarted my computer and now can not click on anything on the desktop or anywhere for that matter. The dock doesn't even come up when i scroll over to it.

At first i thought it was a wireless mouse issue. I booted from the
OS disc and i could click just fine when selecting the options from the disc (selecting language, next buttons, which disc to install, etc.)

I tried restarting, resetting the RAM, safe boot, repair disc, and even reinstalling the OS completely. I'm still unable to click on anything.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt, Digital Performer 10.11
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: After installing a driver, i can't click on anything

Post by mikehalloran »

Is ethernet not an option while you try to figure this out?

Do you have a wireless gateway for the device to send to? If so, is it enabled? If part of your cable/DSL modem, you may have to login to turn wireless on. Most ISPs have a web site with directions.

Most such usb devices are Core Compliant and don't require drivers. Have you verified this device? Is the version compatible with OS 10.6.x?

Do update to 10.6.8 – this fixed a lot of issues.

Have you gone into System Preferences/Network to set this up?

Does the device maker have a web site? Support?

This is little known but can be an issue in 10.6-10.7: Is there another wireless device interfering?

Depending on your internet speed, usb internet will normally be slower. If you have slow internet already, you may not notice the difference.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro