OS X Daily featured my studio in an article

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OS X Daily featured my studio in an article

Post by Steve Steele »

The good folks at OS X Daily did a nice little feature on my home studio. There wasn't enough space to cover everything but it was nice of them to highlight Digital Performer by hyperlinking it. I'm doing all I can to let the world know how cool DP is!

Since the interview/article I've added another modified ultimate 2009 MP with x5690s, 96GBs (6x16GB OWC 1333 DIMMs), (2) Samsung SM951 PCIe RAID 0, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for OpenCL FCPX), Sonnet eSATA/USB 3.0 card, Sonnet Tempo Dual Pro with eSATA (in 2nd MP), two 3TB HDDs (for aliased Home folder and FCPX storage), two 500GB SSDs in RAID 0, and (2) external 3TB HDDs for DP tracking files. All backed up with TM and CCC.

I'll have a video up on my YouTube channel soon with myself doing the whole build, step by step (including CPU swap). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6vt3 ... 9t6D2OINVA

So that makes two almost identical 2009 mods to my setup. One of them helps with FCPX, Compressor (which use Distributed Computing!), and Motion, hence the GPU.

Geekbench scores of 32000.

SM951s in RAID 0 read at near 4000MB/s!

Time to change my signature. :)

OS X Daily link to article about DP and my studio:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/05/mac-setu ... ng-studio/

BTW, check OS X Daily for great Terminal Tips. For instance, how to move each directory of your Home Folder to multiple volumes. How to create a Ram Disk for Cache files to speed up apps and help save you SSDs. I use a Ram Disk for Safari, Photoshop and some other apps. When I restart my Mac the RAM Disk is there with the cached info from the previous session.

James, I hope this was the correct forum. If not, my apologies and please move.

Steve Steele

P.S. If anyone needs help with their 2009 mod, feel free to contact me. I've dreamt up a dozen different ways to fill the PCI slots. Also, there isn't a whole lot of real world difference between the x5680 3.33GHz and the x5690 3.47 GHz, especially if you know what you're doing. So don't sweat it.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
nk_e

Re: OS X Daily featured my studio in an article

Post by nk_e »

Hey. Great studio. It looks very efficient.

I had forgotten how much of a resource OSX Daily can be. I want to implement a RAM disk as you have. I think I found the tip (from 2007?), but could you point me to the method for saving and restoring the contents?

Also, I'm about to undertake a CPU upgrade next week.Chips should arrive at the end of this week. Wish me luck!

Thanks again.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Re: OS X Daily featured my studio in an article

Post by HCMarkus »

nk_e wrote:Hey. Great studio. It looks very efficient.

I had forgotten how much of a resource OSX Daily can be. I want to implement a RAM disk as you have. I think I found the tip (from 2007?), but could you point me to the method for saving and restoring the contents?

Also, I'm about to undertake a CPU upgrade next week.Chips should arrive at the end of this week. Wish me luck!

Thanks again.
Luck! :smash: