program autostart on bootup

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

musicman691

program autostart on bootup

Post by musicman691 »

I know it's possible to have programs in OSX start on bootup but this is a weird one and it only happened once. The other day when I started up my system to do some work I started the peripherals first as I normally do and then started the computer (I have it set to boot into the OSX 10.9.5 partition). Went to grab a cup of Earl Grey tea (my system takes a little while to get running) and when I came back the splash screen for DP9.01 was onscreen and DP was starting. I do not have it in my login programs. DP was fully functional.

Probably not something to worry about but still this inquiring mind would like to know how this could have happened?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: program autostart on bootup

Post by mikehalloran »

You didn't quit DP before shutting down. Perhaps you closed the file without quitting. DP sometimes takes awhile to finish quitting even though all the windows have closed -- shutting down during this is possible and DP will restart with your Mac. I've done that many times.

This is normal. I'm often surprised by what shows up when I boot, sometimes including DP. Word and Excel do this a lot because I close the doc but don't remember to quit before rebooting.

I'm guessing that you are on mechanical HD instead of an SSD. Before I made the switch, I had time to get breakfast while my system booted and logged into all of the sites I need for my job (70 tabs on three browser windows on three screens). Last October, I went to a Samsung 845 EVO 1T and now this process takes 25 seconds.

Nowadays, when I fail to quit an app, it's a minor annoyance. When I booted from an HD, it could add a lot of time to the process.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You should see a check box at shut down that controls this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:You didn't quit DP before shutting down. Perhaps you closed the file without quitting. DP sometimes takes awhile to finish quitting even though all the windows have closed -- shutting down during this is possible and DP will restart with your Mac. I've done that many times.

This is normal. I'm often surprised by what shows up when I boot, sometimes including DP. Word and Excel do this a lot because I close the doc but don't remember to quit before rebooting.

I'm guessing that you are on mechanical HD instead of an SSD. Before I made the switch, I had time to get breakfast while my system booted and logged into all of the sites I need for my job (70 tabs on three browser windows on three screens). Last October, I went to a Samsung 845 EVO 1T and now this process takes 25 seconds.

Nowadays, when I fail to quit an app, it's a minor annoyance. When I booted from an HD, it could add a lot of time to the process.
Thanks for the reply. Normally I'm pretty good at waiting for programs to quit before I shut the computer down. Must have missed it this time. In all the years I've been dealing with these machines this is the first time I've had that happen. I know I've had one or two programs when installed also put themselves in the login items list to run at startup.

And yes - I'm still on a spinner - 7200 rpm 2 terabyte straight from Apple. This is a machine from the refurb section that had to have been a BTO due to the stuff in it that isn't in a stock iMac from the time.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:You should see a check box at shut down that controls this.
Only if you don't anything to restart with your Mac. If that's the case, then you can disable this function.

Although this is a global function, you still have the option of making some apps start automatically whether open or not when you shut down in Startup Items. That goes back to System 5 or 6, as I recall, and hasnt really changed.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:You should see a check box at shut down that controls this.
You're saying if I shut down the computer with a program still running I should see something on screen about this? Don't remember if there was something like that or not and it only happened the one time.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Away from the mac at the moment but iirc there is a box that says you can have OS X reopen windows and apps running at the time of shutdown. Maybe something in system prefs too.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:Away from the mac at the moment but iirc there is a box that says you can have OS X reopen windows and apps running at the time of shutdown. Maybe something in system prefs too.
Depends on the OSX version
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's either set as a startup item or the shut down dialogue is set to reopen apps. In order for DP to do that, the work must be saved or DP will time out the shut down waiting for the user to hit save, as is the case with most apps with open windows. Some Apple apps will allow a shutdown w/o a save, even if the current file is not saved. Preview comes immediately to mind.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

And yes - I'm still on a spinner - 7200 rpm 2 terabyte straight from Apple. This is a machine from the refurb section that had to have been a BTO due to the stuff in it that isn't in a stock iMac from the time.
I know you're on a 2011 and Bays is on a 2009, similar to my 2010.

Currently, my SSD is connected via an eSATA dock as I had OWC do that modification when I bought it from the Refurb Store. The differences between CA and OH sales tax paid for that mod.

Anyway, I am waiting for my 2T 850 EVO to arrive. When it does, I will be installing it in my 2010 while my 845 goes into my wife's 2011. I have not yet done this to either year but have cracked open enough iMacs to know that some of the steps on the OWC and iFixit sites are not necessary.

This will happen by weekend after next and I'll start a thread it afterwards.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's either set as a startup item or the shut down dialogue is set to reopen apps. In order for DP to do that, the work must be saved or DP will time out the shut down waiting for the user to hit save, as is the case with most apps with open windows. Some Apple apps will allow a shutdown w/o a save, even if the current file is not saved. Preview comes immediately to mind.
OSX 10.9.5 does not have a setting to reopen an application on restart unless it's in the startup items. It does have a setting for an app to reopen windows that were open when said application is quit.
MIDI Life Crisis

musicman691 wrote:OSX 10.9.5 does not have a setting to reopen an application on restart unless it's in the startup items. It does have a setting for an app to reopen windows that were open when said application is quit.
You are wrong (imagine that). In fact, it started in 10.7.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0

Don't believe everything you think.

Next!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
musicman691 wrote:OSX 10.9.5 does not have a setting to reopen an application on restart unless it's in the startup items. It does have a setting for an app to reopen windows that were open when said application is quit.
You are wrong (imagine that). In fact, it started in 10.7.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0

Don't believe everything you think.

Next!
That says reopen windows not reopen a program. Big difference. But you know everything (or think you do). :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

So basically you really DON'T understand that dialogue. As I expected.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The feature is call Resume. It opens windows -- any that were open at shutdown. That includes windows that were opened by applications, not just finder windows (which is an application BTW). Resume was introduced in 10.7, presumably to allow you to just pick up where you left off in your last session. It creates and saves a database of the "saved state" of your applications and uses that to decide what to open on startup depending on how preferences are set.

If you choose "close window when closing an app", and uncheck the aforementioned box on shutdown that will help, You can make it app specific, somewhere in preferences. You can also use a terminal command to get rid of it entirely. (I'm not going to post one -- there are a lot of them and I haven't tried any of them)