Access programs across boot partitions?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

musicman691

Access programs across boot partitions?

Post by musicman691 »

Even though I've been using Macs for decades now this is the first machine that I've had multiple boot partitions on the system drive. In my case the computer came with Mountain Lion on it and it's now OSX 10.8.5. I partitioned the system drive and put on Mavericks OSX 10.9.5.

I mentioned in another thread here about when I right clicked on a DP project I had two entries for DP8.07 (this is with me working in the OSX 10.9.5 partition which is what I have set as the default boot partition. So I deleted the DP8 icon/program in my Applications folder, emptied the trash and reinstalled DP8.07. I didn't pay attention to where the installer was putting it (I assumed, and that's dangerous) that it would put this install of DP8.07 in the boot partition I was working on. Install done I looked in the Applications folder and it didn't show there; DP9.01 was there as it should be.

So I right clicked on a DP session I started in DP9.01 and selected for it to open in DP8.07. And it did. Now this is the question: is it possible for this to happen - a document which in this case is a DP project - to open in a program that is not on the boot partition that's being worked from but on another boot partition? If this matters I keep both boot partitions mounted.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Access programs across boot partitions?

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by billf »

If both partitions are mounted, yes you can access the programs. Whether or not they run can be a different story at times.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:Yes
Thanks - I figured you'd know this. One always hears about having programs on the system drive and I didn't know if that included different boot partitions on the same drive.