Getting my daughter's iPad off my computer

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting my daughter's iPad off my computer

Post by Killahurts »

I've always had my (11 yr. old) daughter's devices synced with my computer/iTunes. We don't use a cloud. We use one Apple ID for both mine and her purchases, and we do all the sync and backup work to my computer. But now she uses her iPad at school in a big way, including the school requiring her to use Google Drive, and other cloud-based services for her assignments and delivery. For that and other reasons, I think it's time for her to be able to sync her device to her own computer (a Mac Pro).

I really don't need the features offered with Apple's Family Sharing program, plus I don't want to get everything onto the iCloud (required) because her apps alone would surpass the 5GB free memory limit by many times, and I don't need more monthly payments (I have hard drives for that). :wink:

All I really want to do is, Sync her iPad to her computer instead of mine, and have her computer use the same Apple ID as mine, entitling her to use everything purchased on that account, but be able to manage her own device. I know this works with the App Store between computers, but does it work with iTunes and devices? And how would I get the library/apps over to her computer without having to re-download everything? Copy my library over to hers? Or just sync the iPad to her computer and it does a backup?

Thanks in advance!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Re: Getting my daughter's iPad off my computer

Post by Gravity Jim »

Since the apps are all already "clouded" at the App Store, I don't think an iCloud backup of a phone or pad includes the apps.

Anybody know for sure?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I think you're right, but a lot of her apps have content she's created, and her settings, levels on her games, etc. She needs a true backup of her iPad on the new computer, which.. hmmm, that gives me an Idea..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:
Anybody know for sure?
Yep.

Get your daughter her own Apple ID – this will let her create an iCloud account (you can have multiples on your Mac). You will have to work with someone at the App Store to move purchased apps that you don't want on your account to hers – you do this via live chat. Free apps should just be removed and downloaded again from the new account.

When she has her own computer, it will be easier. Good luck with the Parental Controls thing – been there, done that and both daughters lived to tell the tale.

The Family plan allows multiple individuals to share apps each with their own ID. This is a separate deal and has nothing to do with what you need to accomplish before school starts. If, after investigating, you decide this is a good thing, you can add that later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks Mike! Great info there.. after investigating further, I think I'll end up with the family plan, just because that will do what I want, and I have an eye on what she downloads. I trust her intentions, but even I've been snookered into an in-app purchase or two. :lol:

It really looks like it's the only way to get the apps to sync with the other computer anyway, without parsing them out individually with Apple, as you have suggested.