Rather long Email client question/ opinion needed

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rather long Email client question/ opinion needed

Post by mikehalloran »

With IMAP, a problem on the server can cause email to disappear. I've had it happen. With POP, server problems don't affect mail you have already downloaded. I like the fact that the POP client doesn't know that I may have read an email on my iPad first. Bottom line is that IMAP screws with the way that I organize. I don't like it at work but I'm used to it. Being forced to use it at home is not something I have to put up with.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, with IMAP, you need a rock solid mail server. I've never lost anything. I also use smart folders to duplicate important stuff onto a folder on my Mac, JIC.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:With IMAP, a problem on the server can cause email to disappear. I've had it happen. With POP, server problems don't affect mail you have already downloaded.
It's one of the reasons I prefer POP. I've had experiences with my hosting company having server issues and feel more secure that my past emails (and attachments) are always there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:With IMAP, a problem on the server can cause email to disappear. I've had it happen. With POP, server problems don't affect mail you have already downloaded.
It's one of the reasons I prefer POP. I've had experiences with my hosting company having server issues and feel more secure that my past emails (and attachments) are always there.
IMAP doesn't prevent you from downloading your email.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tell you what. I'll spare us all my usual long-winded post regarding all the differences between IMAP and POP and cut to the bottom line. I don't like IMAP on my Mac for my music business. If Yahoo! Bizmail has really discontinued it, I am in the market for a new host.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote:
IMAP doesn't prevent you from downloading your email.
But don't I have to actively go ahead and download attachments? If I decide I want to get a file that was emailed to me and my server is down, I can't get it? I just like having all my emails accessible offline.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote: IMAP doesn't prevent you from downloading your email.
But don't I have to actively go ahead and download attachments? If I decide I want to get a file that was emailed to me and my server is down, I can't get it? I just like having all my emails accessible offline.
I don't think so. You can add a simple Rule in Mail preferences that selected messages and copies them to a local mailbox. Or, when you check mail, drag specific messages to a local Mailbox if there are only a few that you might need later. My IMAP server rarely goes down, but I do this in case I need to look at some specific messages when I don't have internet access. I hadn't thought about whether attachments were copied, but just checked, and I can open attachments in the local mailbox if the internet access is turned off.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I'm ok with the Apple Mail client but don't love it. Finding something better is on my 'get around to it' list and has been for years.
Same here but there never seems to be anything that much better. What's the problem with IMAP?

I've been working with Postbox for a few days and I mostly like it (the add-ons are very helpful) and it's much faster than Apple Mail but I'd be hard pressed to say it's actually "better."

Fact is I'm not a fan of the Unified Inbox model, but that seems to be what everything is doing now.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

mikehalloran wrote:Tell you what. I'll spare us all my usual long-winded post regarding all the differences between IMAP and POP and cut to the bottom line. I don't like IMAP on my Mac for my music business. If Yahoo! Bizmail has really discontinued it, I am in the market for a new host.

Completely agree. After 15 years of POP downloading and filtering into appropriate folders and routing relevant send to those same folders, I have a complete and accurate database of every email conversation my studio and other businesses have ever had.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III