Yosemite installation faliure

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite installation faliure

Post by gavspen »

Battery changed....what a PITA that was; had to take out all the cards and that little sucker is IN there.....aaaaaand.........Nothing. Same deal.

In a chat session Apple suggests ‪System Management Controller Reset‬ and then try installing from safe mode, which I will do tomorrow; I've pretty much had it for today. And if all that doesnt work, we're into a clean install. Ouch!

The thing is, even if I manage to get it installed on this second drive, I'm not exactly filled with confidence about trying it on the main drive which is what this experiment was leading up to (since even if I get it on the second drive without the need for a clean install, who knows what'll happen on the main drive?).

If I had to do a clean install on the main drive, with all those authorizations??? Well I dont have to tell you; doubtless you've been there.
Mac mini M1, 13.5.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Ok, so it has come to this.

Having tried any and all solutions suggested by Mike and Apple, I have done a clean install of Snow Leopard, upgraded to 10.6.8, and then tried to install Yosemite, with the same result.

The latest wisdom from Apple is that there must be something wrong with the network from which I am trying to install this...that network being TimeWarner. Now I aint no fan of TimeWarner, but ferchrissake, if people were having trouble installing Yosemite using TimeWarner, wouldnt this be known by now? I have no firewall, and I have bypassed the router, just to see....same result. What the heck????????

Thoughts?
Stefan Wul

Post by Stefan Wul »

This thread is old but it can still help the OP or other people facing the same issue.

Hi Gavspen,

I have the same computer than you (Mac Pro 3,1 Octocore) and also a TC Powercore Pcie.

The problem is coming from the Powercore Pcie (not a problem with a Firewire Poco).

Take the Powercore out of your computer and you will be able to perform Yosemite installation.

Last version i could use the Powercore Pcie is OS X 10.8.4.

Hope that helps,

Greets from France.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Stefan Wul wrote:This thread is old but it can still help the OP or other people facing the same issue.

Hi Gavspen,

I have the same computer than you (Mac Pro 3,1 Octocore) and also a TC Powercore Pcie.

The problem is coming from the Powercore Pcie (not a problem with a Firewire Poco).

Take the Powercore out of your computer and you will be able to perform Yosemite installation.

Last version i could use the Powercore Pcie is OS X 10.8.4.

Hope that helps,

Greets from France.
Bonjour Stefan à vous en France.

Actually, I was rather proud of myself for thinking that that might be the problem. I have two cards in there (three if you include the video card), A UAD and the Powercore, and I took them both out. It made no difference I'm afriad; I was still unable to do the installation. :(

I think the video card is not the one which came with the machine....I kinda remember having to replace that...but there's not much I can do with the thing if I take that out, unfortunately. :?

Thanks for replying though, I appreciate it.

(I havent looked here for a while, so sorry for the late reply.)

G.