Where to order screw replacement for SATA in MacPro 5,1?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where to order screw replacement for SATA in MacPro 5,1?

Post by mhschmieder »

Can those special screws that hold the SATA drives in place within their drive bays, be ordered?

I now have to use pliers on one of them, as the Philips screw head is stripped (how I hate Philips screws in general, for this reason!).

Only last weekend, when I was incrementally upgrading the size of each of my hard drives, did I notice for the first time why that one drive bay had always been hard to swap: Apple screwed up (no pun intended) and the lower plastic washer was on the top side just like the upper plastic washer.

I took care of that (it was hard to see until I compared to the other drive bays), but the damage was already done the last time I swapped drives in that bay. Tonight, when I got to the final round of iterations on drive upgrades, I had to bring out the pliers for one of the two screws affected by the manufacturing/inspection error.

Luckily, the other one that wasn't installed correctly isn't stripped, and the other two were installed correctly -- as were all four screws on each of the other three drive bays.

As these are specific to Apple's Porsche-designed MacPro 2010 (known as "5,1"), I seriously doubt they are stock parts available from anyone other than Apple.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
HCMarkus

Re: Where to order screw replacement for SATA in MacPro 5,1?

Post by HCMarkus »

If you are connecting via the internal SATA buss, just place your SSD in the optical bay and connect to the extra port there… you can move the optical drive to the lower optical bay and use it as a shelf if you like. That's what I did, and on it now rest, if I recall correctly, four SSDs.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This isn't an SSD; I put that one in the PCIe slot using the OWC setup.

Regular SATA drive. If I ever have to swap bays or drives again, that screw isn't going back in for sure. Even with pliers, I barely got it to turn this time. Totally rethreaded thanks to the original mess-up by Apple when they manufactured the bay.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I think OWC might have these screws available, they sell replacement sleds for the MP's ,so I suspect they also would have the screws.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MPRODBKTLG6/

I'd try calling & ask someone in tech support.
Any good authorized Mac repair shop will probably have these available as well,in NY I'd try Tekserve there must be similar shops in SF.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks; it's worth a try. OWC should be quicker than trying to navigate Apple's overly-complicated parts catalogue. And it might be worth $20 to buy a new sled instead. :-)