Trimforce and updates.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Trimforce and updates.

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I recently updated the OS to 10.10.4. So far, so good, I am happy to report.

I am also a user of Trim Enabler. It has worked fine for me. But since updating my computers to Yosemite, I've developed the habit of engaging Trim Enabler and utilizing its script, trimming the SSDs as intended, then disengaging Trim Enabler so that there will be no conflicts/issues for future OS updates. Now that Apple has "allowed" its users to engage Trim with the Trimforce command, it seems that Trim Enabler is no longer needed. The Trimforce command has worked well for my two Apple computers that require it for their OWC SSDs. There remains one question in my mind, however. Does one need to enable and disable Trimforce as one would have to do with Trim Enabler if/when updating the OS?

Thank you for any information on this. . . .

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Re: Trimforce and updates.

Post by mikehalloran »

Read this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=59419

If booting from a HD, yes, Trim Enabler is the only way to Trim your SSDs.

If booting from an SSD, then running sudo trimforce enable is all you need to do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Thank you!

My happy Mac Pro has nothing but SSDs installed. . . 8 of them, to be exact. (I am an SSD junkie! LOL! :lol: )

By the way, I appreciate the information that you share here. Again, thank you.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Whoa! Sounds like you have a rocking machine. Try to use it for good. :woohoo:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro