Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OSX 10.10.4

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So it's safe to assume that since this thread has d/evolved into a discussion of Trim that the rest of the update is OK?
Ran DP 9 for about five hours last night under 10.10.4. No harm no foul. Didn't notice much of anything changed.
Gracias!
It did perform an EFI firmware update on my iMac, so be aware of the beep. I assume your UPS is in shape.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

UPS is looking fine. It still takes about a minute or two to get any network connection (internet or otherwise) but that may be a 3rd party problem yet to be figured out. Apple says I would need to do a clean install and it's just not that important for such a small inconvenience.

Thanks for the heads up.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: It did perform an EFI firmware update on my iMac, so be aware of the beep. I assume your UPS is in shape.
I heard the "beep" too, but I can't see anything in the associated documents on an EFI update. What happened?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:
cuttime wrote: It did perform an EFI firmware update on my iMac, so be aware of the beep. I assume your UPS is in shape.
I heard the "beep" too, but I can't see anything in the associated documents on an EFI update. What happened?
I believe it was security related, although the official Apple docs don't mention it for Yosemite.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2942720 ... loits.html
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204934
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: I believe it was security related, although the official Apple docs don't mention it for Yosemite.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2942720 ... loits.html
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204934
Thanks for the links. Actually the Apple docs linked in the Macworld article do mention it:

EFI
Available for: OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5, OS X Mavericks v10.9.5, OS X Yosemite v10.10 to v10.10.3
Impact: A malicious application with root privileges may be able to modify EFI flash memory
Description: An insufficient locking issue existed with EFI flash when resuming from sleep states. This issue was addressed through improved locking.
CVE-ID
CVE-2015-3692 : Trammell Hudson of Two Sigma Investments, Xeno Kovah and Corey Kallenberg of LegbaCore LLC, Pedro Vilaça
EFI
Available for: OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5, OS X Mavericks v10.9.5, OS X Yosemite v10.10 to v10.10.3
Impact: A malicious application may induce memory corruption to escalate privileges
Description: A disturbance error, also known as Rowhammer, exists with some DDR3 RAM that could have led to memory corruption. This issue was mitigated by increasing memory refresh rates.
CVE-ID
CVE-2015-3693 : Mark Seaborn and Thomas Dullien of Google, working from original research by Yoongu Kim et al (2014)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

You guys all beat me to the good news. trimforce enable! Works fine. The reason Trim Enabler comes up with the message that trim is not on is due kext signing and the way Trim Enabler gets around it. Don't worry about it. All is fine. Throw away Trim Enabler and say thanks for the memories.

Info about 10.10.4 -

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1819?locale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204942

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204934

The firmware update was regarding the EFI fix for the Thunderstrike vulnerability I believe.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06 ... ckdooring/

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/30/app ... x-10-10-4/

Concerning trim, in one MacPro I have two Samsung 830s, two Samsung 840 EVOs, and one Samsung 840. From what I've read these drives are the most susceptible to corruption after applying a trim command or the trimforce enable command. I had no problems.

On my second MacPro, I have three OWC Mercury Extreme Pros, and one OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD. OWC claims that Sandforce controller based SSDs do well enough with just garbage collection. However, if I update this MacPro (which is currently on Mavericks), I may apply the trimforce command after backing up to see if there's any noticeable change. But this is my slave Mac and I don't write to those SSDs, so there's not much point.

System Report doesn't directly report trim for the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD. I've never bothered to look further into this or ask OWC about it, but i'm guessing it's because it's on the PCI bus.

Overall a good update from Apple.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For those of us who prefer the Combo Updater:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's what I did. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Steve Steele wrote:You guys all beat me to the good news. trimforce enable! Works fine. The reason Trim Enabler comes up with the message that trim is not on is due kext signing and the way Trim Enabler gets around it. Don't worry about it. All is fine. Throw away Trim Enabler and say thanks for the memories.
So all I need to do is disable Trim Enabler, reboot, then from the terminal run "sudo trimforce enable" and that's it? Safe to assume I won't have to worry about zapping NVRAM in the future and having system come up unreadable?

I know I also restored to my SSD from a Carbon Copy Cloner image and it came up unreadable as well. I never investigated just what happened. Presumably I needed to disable trim before making the image? Hopefully that won't be an issue any more after the 10.10.4 update and using trimforce.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

James Steele wrote:
Steve Steele wrote:You guys all beat me to the good news. trimforce enable! Works fine. The reason Trim Enabler comes up with the message that trim is not on is due kext signing and the way Trim Enabler gets around it. Don't worry about it. All is fine. Throw away Trim Enabler and say thanks for the memories.
So all I need to do is disable Trim Enabler, reboot, then from the terminal run "sudo trimforce enable" and that's it? Safe to assume I won't have to worry about zapping NVRAM in the future and having system come up unreadable?

I know I also restored to my SSD from a Carbon Copy Cloner image and it came up unreadable as well. I never investigated just what happened. Presumably I needed to disable trim before making the image? Hopefully that won't be an issue any more after the 10.10.4 update and using trimforce.
Hey James - Yes. But make sure it's in this order.

1) Disable Trim Enabler.

2) Install 10.10.4 and after reboot..

3) type "sudo trimforce enable" into the Terminal.

extra info FYI...

It's important that before you do anything, disable Trim Enabler. If you're running Yosemite and have Trim Enabler on that means that Trim Enabler had to disable Kext signing. If you try to update your OS with Trim Enabler on, when you re-boot you'll get a grey screen with a stop sign (a circle with a line crossed through it). This means OSX thinks an unapproved exetention is in your system and then you'll have to boot from your recovery partition and hope that a series of terminal commands can patch things up. If that doesn't work you'll be forced to reformat and reinstall from a backup.

After you turn off Trim Enabler open About This Mac.. Open System Report and click on SATA. Click on the name of one of your SSDs and make sure that it says Trim - No. Just as a safety precaution. You really don't want to have to deal with what happens if you install 10.10.4 before disabling Trim Enabler.

After the OS instal and reboot open Terminal and type "sudo trimforce enable". After entering your password you'll see a warning and it will ask you twice if you want to continue with the command. Type y both times and in a few seconds if all goes well your third party SSDs will be trim enabled. That's it.

If anyone has trouble with Trim Enabler go to there website (on another device if your Mac won't boot).

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks... yes... I did it in the correct order. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So all I need to do is disable Trim Enabler, reboot,
Not necessary. Installing 10.10.4 disables Trim Enabler since OS updates always remove the unsigned kexts. If you have the notification box checked, you'll get the message that TE is turned off which is correct.

If you want to retain the other functionality (available to those who paid), turn off the notification in Settings and the rest of the tools work. Otherwise, uninstall under Settings.

There's something else that I want to test before I update the sticky.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If anyone has trouble with Trim Enabler go to there website (on another device if your Mac won't boot).

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/
This is more accurate and up to date:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=59419
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are those who like to Trim SSDs by running Disk Utility from a mechanical HD. This can only be done with Trim Enabler.app installed on the HD and turned to On under Trim.

sudo trimforce enable is an invalid command when booted into a HD.

Again, if booting from an SSD, the above command line makes Trim Enabler.app redundant unless you like the other tools in the paid version.

If using the paid version, turn the app Off under Trim and turn Check for Trim Support on Boot is set to Off under Settings. The other tools will still function correctly.

I updated the sticky with more detail.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

All of the above is correct. :) When I cold booted my Mac this morning, Trim Enabler gave the same warning.... but when I opened the Trim Enabler app, it reported that "Trim Enabler is off, but Trim is on. You must have an Apple SSD."

So, yes, that warning isn't triggered by Trim being off, but by the kext signing being ON.

I am a happy Mac'er.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]