Restoring serial number info from Time Machine?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Restoring serial number info from Time Machine?

Post by hamburski »

So I just had the video card replaced on my 2013 Macbook Pro (under Apple Care). This is my secondary rig but I had *finally* gotten everything all dialed in, software updated, plugins all talking to each other about a month or two back.

Got back the machine, went to open DP 8, and got a message asking if I wanted to buy the software or enter my serial #.

My guess is this won't be the only thing that will ask this of me, so before I start going through things one by one, the question is:

I made a Time Machine backup before taking the laptop in to be repaired. If do a restore from Time Machine, should it put back all the necessary permissions and such that seem to be missing now?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Restoring serial number info from Time Machine?

Post by bayswater »

You'll get some stuff to work by restoring from Time Machine, but not necessarily everything. It will depend on the authorization schemes used by your software. I think a TM restore is a good place to start.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Thanks, Bayswater. I dug up the authorization code and got DP running fine, and so far everything else - plugins, etc - seem, knock on wood, to be working o.k.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Certain internet authorizations do not work after a crash and Time Machine restore. Master Writer and Final Draft are the only two I ever had an issue with -- unless I had the foresight to de authorize them first (I do a lot of testing). DP 7 and earlier need to be reauthorised with the CD.

DP 8, as you found out, just needs to have the license info re entered. A few of my plugs need the same. iLok authorizations as well as serial number based ones are unaffected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:DP 8, as you found out, just needs to have the license info re entered.
So can we conclude that DP 8 looks at the graphics hardware (among other things) to ensure it is running on an authorized Mac?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:DP 8, as you found out, just needs to have the license info re entered.
So can we conclude that DP 8 looks at the graphics hardware (among other things) to ensure it is running on an authorized Mac?
No.

DP 8's license manager phones home on startup. I don't know where this info is stored but it is not normally retained in a Time Machine restore. With DP 7 and earlier, the Auth File is restored -- you can find it easily enough. -- but DP cannot use it without re-authorizing from the CD.

Some schemes use the MAC address. Others including Finale use the hardware address of the drive in the system-- move the drive to another position on your Mac and you have to reauthorise.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Thanks, Mike. So far everything else does seem to be opening without the Time Machine restore.