Norton Utilities will not Boot

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

barks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Norton Utilities will not Boot

Post by barks »

Hi List,

I have a G4 iMac 1Gig + 1gig Ram running Panther 10.3.7. all of a sudden I cannot boot off my Norton Disc, including the original backup I made when I purchased it a year ago. I can select it as a startup disc, but half way throught the startup process - grey screen and light grey apple logo - the mac freezes in a kernal panic- stating I must restart the computer in 5 different languages. It worked fine 6 months ago when I last used it and I have been on panther since early last year.
Any suggestions would be most welcome

TIA

Barkley Mckay
iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gig ram, DP5.12 (err, back to 5.11 actually...), RME Fireface 800, ADA8000, RME ADI-2 Converter, Allen & Heath GS3 24 channel mixer, Genelec 1030, dbx Drawmer Focusrite Roland Lexicon TC outboard, studio sofa + kitty...
inukshuk

Re: Norton Utilities will not Boot

Post by inukshuk »

Norton does not support Panther or apple anymore. Get TechTool Pro 4.0.3
Nothing else
Dual G4, 1.42GHZ, 2,048 ram, 3-74gb Raptors, 1-250gb Caviar, OS X Tiger 10.4.5, D.P. 4.61, HUI, Tannoy 600a's, UAD-1,Fairchild, Pultec-Pro, tc PowerCore firewire, Restoration Suite, MD3, VSS3, Inflator, Voice Modeler, Assimilator, Auto-Tune4, PowerCouple, PSP MasterQ, Vintage Warmer, MixPack, Blue Tubes Bundle, BFD, motu 896 HD.
http://www.inukshukproductions.ca/mastering
barks

Post by barks »

Thanks for the reply.
My problem is that it did originally work with panther and still works with my iBook-running panther 10.3.5.
Any other suggestions would be great.
thanks
again
Barks
iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gig ram, DP5.12 (err, back to 5.11 actually...), RME Fireface 800, ADA8000, RME ADI-2 Converter, Allen & Heath GS3 24 channel mixer, Genelec 1030, dbx Drawmer Focusrite Roland Lexicon TC outboard, studio sofa + kitty...
toofar

Post by toofar »

barks, sorry to say that there have been numerous posts regarding problems with Norton and any recent OS versions. As mentioned above, Norton does not support our brave new world and you're courting trouble by holding on. Can you boot from your OS install CD to accomplish what you need? Or perhaps at least run disk repair from that CD and get a leg up. Perhaps someone can help if you are more specific about what you wanted to have Norton do. Best of luck to you.
iMac 3.2GHz 6-core i7 & Mojave | Audient iD14 | DP 10.0.1 | MIDI Express XT | G4 dual 1 ghz MDD & Tiger | 2408 mk3 (x2) | A-500 PRO | Rosetta 200 | Toft ATC-2 | Mackie VLZ3 | JBLs | DP 4.6 | Live | 'n stuff
barks

Post by barks »

thanks again for the info.
I have a collegue who is lending me Techtool 4 tomorrow so I'll see if that helps. Basically I am experiencing extremely sluggish behaviour when opening apps. Stuffit expander took nearly 5 mins to get going - bouncing in the dock with spinning beachball- A lot of the problems seem to be linked to the sleep mode. Restart cures it for a while but they come creeping back in when I use the computer extensively. I was hoping to just use Norton ( and now Techtool) to sort it during a diagnostics and repair routine, without my trawling through and trashing preferences etc!

thanks

barks
toofar

Post by toofar »

I can highly recommend the freeware OnyX to simplify the tasks of cleaning up caches, running crons, dumping temp files, etc, etc. Sometimes that alone will get rid of some baggage. It will also run permissions repair for you if you aren't in the habit of running Apple's Disk Utility. Check it out.

OnyX
iMac 3.2GHz 6-core i7 & Mojave | Audient iD14 | DP 10.0.1 | MIDI Express XT | G4 dual 1 ghz MDD & Tiger | 2408 mk3 (x2) | A-500 PRO | Rosetta 200 | Toft ATC-2 | Mackie VLZ3 | JBLs | DP 4.6 | Live | 'n stuff
barks

Post by barks »

Thankyou!

happy new year

barks
shepherdgary

Post by shepherdgary »

Gotta disagree on this one - while I had trouble initially, version 8 of Norton Utilities does work and seems still to be supported (there are updates at times) and seems to work on my G$ with Panther. Up to now it has been the best one - didn't hear anything about no longer supporting Apple.
toofar

Post by toofar »

garys,

Back in July '04, Macworld said that Symantec was dropping Mac development of Norton Utilities as well as SystemWorks.

You might also be interested to peruse this thread on OSX Audio:
Norton thread
It's one of several regarding problems thought to be related to the use of Norton on current OS configs.

cheers