Apple Bringing Audio Unit Plugins To iOS

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Luke
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Luke »

*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
mikehalloran

Re: Apple Bringing Audio Unit Plugins To iOS

Post by mikehalloran »

My favorite exchange in the comments:

AU is great, but VST support would be nice too

I’m guessing the incentive for apple to support VST is exactly 0%
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If apple's intent is to sell more iPads and not so much to give away more copies of GarageBand then vst would not be a bad thing. I was playing around with Auria and wondering whether we would see AU support. Auria is pretty complete as an audio only sequencer already with a good array or plugins available. How long can it be before MOTU takes the plunge?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are so many apps that would make more sense as plugins in the iOS environment.

On one hand, it is like making the iOS suck less, and be more like a laptop.

On the other hand, it looks like it will force people to choose between the mess that is Audiobus, and all the legacy apps, or updating iOS and apps to get the new and more elegant structure.

I guess to it will be another tough fork in the road in terms of an OS update and app updates. Good for developers though.

Hopefully, many developers will use the "bundle" trick to let customers buy their plug-in version at a discount if the user already owns the stand-alone.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I sort of think it's amusing that as more power is added to iPads, and people start using bluetooth keyboards for ease of use and hunger for the ability to transfer a file to a USB thumb drive, for example, the iPad may someday evolved into the laptop. :) I kid, but I remember struggling to shoehorn my iPad 2 into the role of playing live backing tracks, until I finally just gave up on it and bought a used MacBook for $350 and never been happier. It was just too cumbersome and not worth the effort.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

James Steele wrote:I sort of think it's amusing that as more power is added to iPads, and people start using bluetooth keyboards for ease of use and hunger for the ability to transfer a file to a USB thumb drive, for example, the iPad may someday evolved into the laptop. :) I kid, but I remember struggling to shoehorn my iPad 2 into the role of playing live backing tracks, until I finally just gave up on it and bought a used MacBook for $350 and never been happier. It was just too cumbersome and not worth the effort.
I agree. iPads are cool, but shoehorning them into a laptop role sometimes smacks of trying too hard. "Can I make this hot dog taste like a cheeseburger?" Just get a cheeseburger.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:
James Steele wrote:I sort of think it's amusing that as more power is added to iPads, and people start using bluetooth keyboards for ease of use and hunger for the ability to transfer a file to a USB thumb drive, for example, the iPad may someday evolved into the laptop. :) I kid, but I remember struggling to shoehorn my iPad 2 into the role of playing live backing tracks, until I finally just gave up on it and bought a used MacBook for $350 and never been happier. It was just too cumbersome and not worth the effort.
I agree. iPads are cool, but shoehorning them into a laptop role sometimes smacks of trying too hard. "Can I make this hot dog taste like a cheeseburger?" Just get a cheeseburger.
A cheesburger hot dog sounds absolutely fantastic. Have you never had a cheeseburger bite from 7-eleven? They are awesome! :koolaid:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

philbrown wrote:
Yep. I tried hard, too. Wanted to be soooo cutting edge. But there I was running Meteor as my sequencer, using the unwieldy Camera Connection Kit, to then connect a USB cable to a MIDI/Audio interface because the DAC in the iPad 2 is crap. Even I can hear the difference. Then on top of it, until MOTU makes an iPad version of DP, you have to go through the tedious process of getting a sequence you created in DP into the iPad, which involved importing WAV files and a MIDI file, etc.

I did all this and in the end sometimes the iPad would randomly lose connection to the interface. It was underpowered. Editing was cumbersome once it was in the iPad.

But the real kicker, is that DP has the killer app when it comes to live performance backup: CHUNKS!! No other DAW has this. Using Meteor on the iPad, my drummer had to close a sequence when Meteor was finished playing, squint at the iPad screen and tappity-tap to load the next sequence, wait for it to be ready and then tap the small on screen play button. It took a fairly long time. Now he's using the iPad to remotely control DP on the laptop and things are much faster.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

philbrown wrote:I agree. iPads are cool, but shoehorning them into a laptop role sometimes smacks of trying too hard. "Can I make this hot dog taste like a cheeseburger?" Just get a cheeseburger.
I agree. I tried giving the iPad a serious chance at that, but in the end it makes more sense as a studio accessory than it does as a central unit. I remain undecided about it's use for synths, but for tasks like remote control, lyrics sheets, and so on, it's great. As for fiddling around with a DAW on it trying to do serious work, no thanks.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My iPad use is different but, if I tried to use it like DP, it would be useless.

In my case, I either

a) play live through VIs, mostly the builtin instruments from GB but there are a couple others as well. I use the touch screen (bass or guitar) or my Line 6 Mobile Keys (anything else). The audio goes direct to the PA from the 1/8" TRS.

b) sing to pre-recorded audio files stored in my iPad. I use Twisted Wave to store and trigger the audio files – so much faster and easier than any other app I have tried. The files are prepared in DP beforehand. Same audio path as above. Getting them in through DropBox is as easy as anything else - iTunes has too many steps.

I can switch back and forth as needed among the three choices without making any hardware adjustments. One song, I play bass and sin. Another, I'll pull up a Hammond patch and play on the Line 6 (who needs two hands? This is rock and roll!!!). On a third, it's my wife's pre-recorded piano part and the band is playing along.

The iPad is convenient and lightweight, that's all. Anything more complex would require a laptop and I could still do the above except that I'd have to use my iPad as a touch screen controller or play keyboard bass.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:One song, I play bass and sin.
I know a death metal band looking for a bass player. :)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You mean a base player?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:You mean a base player?
Well yeah... if they sin, I guess they're fairly base.

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

James Steele wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:One song, I play bass and sin.
I know a death metal band looking for a bass player. :)
Hahaha! :headbang:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I was near death that day. Does that count?

Naw... my abilities to sing came back but sin is something I'm still working on. Perhaps I can join a support group.