CONFIRMED STATIC NOISE G5 and 828 mkII

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mauri
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CONFIRMED STATIC NOISE G5 and 828 mkII

Post by mauri »

I have a g5 2.5 dual and the 828mkII via firewire

I'm having static continuous background noises at 0 Db (main out level) (also going through the input of logic 7 making my recording dirty.

I ve noticed that the noise is reduced about the 40 % if I "nap" (turn off the g5 power supply fan)

but still everytime i drag a window on the screen and-or do anything with the mouse .. more background noise is added.

Anybody having the same problem with same configuration ?
Peru
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: CONFIRMED STATIC NOISE G5 and 828 mkII

Post by Peru »

There's a pretty interesting chapter re dual-processor G5 computer noises in the November issue of Sound on Sound (USA International) . The "Apple G5 Noises" mini- article is smack dab in the middle of their "troubleshooting" section by Martin Walker ••“page 86. QUOTE ••“"PSU-generated noise has ended up affecting connected Firewire audio devices, as well as being physically audible from the computer itself. Having the machine upgraded to a Revision E PSU usually fixes the problem, or at least improves it, but there are stories of the problem persisting even then ....."The G5 article is within another article entitled ....."Solving Computer Audio Problems". Might be worth a looksee ••“either by accessing the SOS online article or picking up the physical mag. Also, there is another helpful article called "The Ins and Outs of X" (Investigating Core Audio Performance Under Mac OSX.)
mjc

Post by mjc »

Hi

How can i tell which rev. CPU is in my G5? Hardware Overview (About This Mac) says only: CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2).

thanks

MikeC
Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz Quad Core, 14GB RAM, OSX 10.10.4, DP9.0 MachFive3, BFD3, Logic Pro X, 828MkII1, MTP AV, Mackie MC, A&H Zed 16R, POD X3 Korg SG pro X, 2 many guitars & amps
slipstream

Post by slipstream »

I get alot of similar noise in my powerbook .. mine is digital noise thru the firewire port and out the audio cables... only way to fix it for me was to used balanced ins and outs .. I noticed the other day if I have firewire plugged in for mLAN and then plug a USB cable into my motif and into the powerbook i can get the same sort of noise... I original thought it was ground loops thru the power supplies and spect ages hunting down the solution.
as I said balanced outs from the firewire product fixed it in the end... even if i moved the mouse it would get noisier.. have you check this out ?
hopefully u have a similar issue and can fix it this way...
PS where i first noticed it was putting a second monitor on the powerbook and Yuck! terrible digital noise out the firewire audio port
DP 4.52, Imac 2 GHZ G5 1 gig Ram
Powerbook 1.5ghz 1 gig RAM
Motif ES7 and Tascam FW1082 interface