Refurbished Early 2009 Mac Pro vs Newish Early 2013 Mac Pro?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Refurbished Early 2009 Mac Pro vs Newish Early 2013 Mac Pro?

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I am seeing the older Mac Pros being refurbished/upgraded with 3.33 GHz CPUs for sale (either on eBay or other computer-hardware stores like OWC). Members here have done the upgrading themselves on their older Mac Pro computers and have shared their success with the (daring) upgrade. I am also seeing newish used 6-Core Early 2013 ("Trashcan Looking") Mac Pros for sale as well, but for much more $$$ than the refurbished ones.

Recently, I purchased a couple of different orchestral libraries. I am happy to have both. Both were on sale. Both sound wonderful and make great editions to my ever-growing library of virtual instruments. One of them, in particular, is a bit CPU heavy. My happy yet aging Early 2009 Mac Pro (specs noted in my signature line) is . . . well. . . showing its age. It is its CPU, mainly. I have plenty of RAM and lots of SSDs.

I am no stranger to "Master/Slave" computer relationships. (Again, please note my specs in the signature.) I am using VEPro 5 to help with the CPU weakness as I create a larger and newer orchestral templet with the newly purchased VIs, and. . . well. . . my early 2009 Mac Pro is showing its age.

I am seeing some pretty good deals with Early 2009 Mac Pros upgraded with the dual, 8-Core total 3.33 GHz CPUs. Interestingly, I am also seeing relatively good deals with the newish Early 2013, 6-Core Mac Pros too. Either one would be a great edition to my happy, little home studio. If I purchased the more expensive newish Early 2013, 6-Core Mac Pros, I would also have to purchase either USB 3 or TB external enclosures (with SSDs, of course). I would not have to purchase any external enclosures if I purchased an upgraded Early 2009 Mac Pro with the 3.33 GHz CPUs. I'll just take a couple out of my old Mac Pro (I have 8 internal SSDs in it, by the way) and insert them into the refurbished one.

It seems that either one would be a good investment. Which investment would be the BEST over the long range?

To those here who upgraded their CPUs, how is it going? Any problems to expect with the upgrade? Are they as wonderfully fast and powerful as you hoped the upgrade would make them be?

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful input. . .

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Re: Refurbished Early 2009 Mac Pro vs Newish Early 2013 Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

Ted, either way will be an upgrade but, without knowing how you intend to use it, I don't know that anyone can answer your question.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

mikehalloran wrote:Ted, either way will be an upgrade but, without knowing how you intend to use it, I don't know that anyone can answer your question.
Apologies. . .

Well, besides composing/sequencing orchestral stuff, I edit video. (It's all a hobby, by the way.) It has only been about 2 years, now, that I've been editing HD video. . . mostly 720p video. My Early 2009 Mac Pro handles the editing process really well, I am happy to say. I use either Apple's Final Cut Pro X or Adobe's Premiere Pro CC 2014 software. Cameras used are Panasonic's AG HPX170 and/or Canon's 70D (during rare camera a/b set-ups). Happily, I then score original music to the video projects (using DP 8, of course!).

I have NOT gotten into 4K video yet. After many years in doing standard definition video, I am only just becoming comfortable with editing HD video (and then creating either Blu-Ray disks or DVDs). I don't see myself getting into 4K video for a few years, at least.

By the way, most of the video projects that I do are for the hospital where I work. (I'm a full-time ICU/CCU Nurse - nights.) They're educational videos for my fellow employees. It is a wonderful non-paying gig! LOL! I am quite happy to have a hospital administration that supports its employees as many of us do creative endeavors like produce educational videos for the staff (and sometimes for the patients).

Hope that this is helpful, Mike. And. . . thank you!

Ted

Edited to Add:

Oh what the heck! Here's one video project that I did for a local church. I know that it ain't "Pro". I am a long away from producing "Pro". But I am learning, thanks to on-line communities like this one. The whole process. . . learning. . . producing. . . composing. . . learning some more, is sheer joy for me!

Click on the link to watch the video if you wish. (Music scoring done with DP 8, of course!)
https://vimeo.com/120894273
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
dix

Post by dix »

Unless I'm not understanding something, you'd also need to buy new I/Os if you went with the 2013 since they don't have PCI slots for your 2408mk3s, making that a much more expensive option.

I've been curious about the CPU upgrades too. I'm seeing more and more on ebay (not at OWC. can you provide a link?), including 12-core upgrades for my 8-core. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Core-3-46-GH ... 3f4b08cc49
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

dix wrote:Unless I'm not understanding something, you'd also need to buy new I/Os if you went with the 2013 since they don't have PCI slots for your 2408mk3s, making that a much more expensive option.

I've been curious about the CPU upgrades too. I'm seeing more and more on ebay (not at OWC. can you provide a link?), including 12-core upgrades for my 8-core. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Core-3-46-GH ... 3f4b08cc49
You're correct. I would have to purchase either a TB based audio device or USB based device. I already have two 2408 MK3 devices with two PCIe ports (only using one right now). In a "Master/Slave" situation, I can get away with hooking up the Early 2013 Mac Pro to my other computer(s), with the audio devices, via the Ethernet port when using VEPro 5. (VEPro 5 is a GREAT program, by the way!) But if I want to use the Early 2013 Mac Pro all by itself, I will need to spend more $$$ for an audio device. (Ugh!)

OWC did have Early 2009 Mac Pros with 3.33 GHz CPUs for sale. In talking to the sales representative on the phone, he said that these are refurbished and upgraded Mac Pros either done by OWC or purchased from others who did the refurbishing. I only know about the upgrade/refurbishing of these Mac Pros by reading a very interesting thread on this bulletin board. It wetted my appetite. I am just too chicken to do the refurbishing myself! LOL!

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MP09D333M16C/

At this point, I am really interested to know of any problems/issues with these refurbished Mac Pros. What problems, if any, does that refurbishing create?
Last edited by zuul-studios on Sat May 30, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer:

Software:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW I moved from a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro 8 core 3.2 MHz to an early 2013 nMP. No comparison. I still use my older FW and USB stuff with adaptors and two DVI monitors. Runs much cooler and my electric bills dropped by at least $50-60 a month. Not kidding. Get the largest SSD you can if you go with the trash can. The performance on the 2013 is staggering and I have a lowly 4 core. Plenty of power.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:FWIW I moved from a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro 8 core 3.2 MHz to an early 2013 nMP. No comparison. I still use my older FW and USB stuff with adaptors and two DVI monitors. Runs much cooler and my electric bills dropped by at least $50-60 a month. Not kidding. Get the largest SSD you can if you go with the trash can. The performance on the 2013 is staggering and I have a lowly 4 core. Plenty of power.
OWC has an "Open Box, New Condition" Early 2013 Mac Pro (6 Core) for about $3200 dollars. I just checked the on-line Apple store and a similar model costs significantly more $$$. Either choice involves a whole lot of $$$. But it is tempting. It is tempting!

MIDI Life Crisis (Michael) - Are you able to load a large orchestral templet using only your machine, and use DP8 without the use of VEPro 5 and/or a master/slave computer configuration???
Computer:

Software:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What problems, if any, does that refurbishing create?
None except that it is what it is – no Build to Order options on items in the Refurb Store.

Some refurb items are new, old stock when a newer model is announced. Others had minor or even major issues that Apple fixed. You will never know. Components fail. One way to look at it is that most Refurb items are tested twice.

Buy AppleCare with it and support is the same as new: 3 years with phone support. Monitors and Time Capsules purchased with AppleCare are 2 years unless purchased with a Mac, then everything on the receipt is covered for three.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Not orchestral stuff at present but about 12-14 instances with a combination of Kontakt, MachFive, etc. with some pretty intense instruments and it hasn't put a dent in the CPU YET, and that with full screen video on the second monitor. I have 32 GB of RAM and distribute the CPU load across the cores. I was using Plogue Bidule but haven't needed it once since getting the trash can.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Sounds like Mike's (MLC Mike, that is) system is rockin'.

FWIMBW, dix and Ted, I'm stoked with the CPU upgrade I did from 2 x 6C @2.4GHz to 2 x 6C @3.33GHz. Everything's snappier in the Finder, which I very much appreciate.

Unfortunately, I've not yet tested the CPUs in DP and given 'em a proper workout, but I have switched from a standard single to a dual-pass mode of video conversion for my lowly PooToob music video edits and so on (as a consumer). This is a first for me; every time I tried 2-passing in any conversion app until now, I swore I'd never do it again. The fact that it's my standard modicum operetta now bodes well for how DP's gonna run, I reckon...

To quote half the castanet population, "just sayin' is all..."

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I'd see what others in your boat have to say about the i7 iMacs. They have impressive power for substantially less cost. I opened 20+ 1080p video streams on mine and let them run on loop with a fairly large (for me) DP session playing, and saw nothing close to a processor hit or a video stutter. I have the lesser video card and only 8GB RAM. Mine is also fusion drive and as a refurb was under $2k.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's impressive, Doug!

I ran around 28 1080p and 720p (mixed) music videos in QTPlayer to test my new CPUs, only for 5 minutes or so, and whilst I was only trying to get some heat into 'em and so didn't notice the CPU hit much at all, I seem to recall it was easily over 60%, and that's with 40G RAM and 12 cores at 3.33GHz, so, as I said, I think that iMac performance is incredible!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dix

Post by dix »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Not orchestral stuff at present but about 12-14 instances with a combination of Kontakt, MachFive, etc. with some pretty intense instruments and it hasn't put a dent in the CPU YET, and that with full screen video on the second monitor. I have 32 GB of RAM and distribute the CPU load across the cores. I was using Plogue Bidule but haven't needed it once since getting the trash can.
Is the Track 16 your only I/O MLC?

For many, such as myself, it's the cost of replacing their PCI stuff that is prohibitive. On top of the cost for the trashcan I'd need to add another $2K+ for an i/o, thunderbolt external drives and UAD device. ...it's all inevitable, but not today.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm only using the Track 16. I also have a Focusrite Pro DSP 24 I bought before winning the T16 at a MOTU event.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you have a 4,1 8 core (as your sig suggests), why not buy two de-lidded X5680s or 90s, drop them in your Mac and see how she handles your workflow? Using de-lidded CPUs, the upgrade is not, by any means, daring. Total cost $600 (X5690) if you go with this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-2009-4- ... 0878773067

Or have someone do it for you (X5680) for $750::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Core-3-33GHz ... 1697425298