Using ssd's on Mac ?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Aramis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using ssd's on Mac ?

Post by Aramis »

Hello all,
Anybody using ssd's on Mac and DigitalPerformer here ?
Have you had problems with the SSD 's slowing down ?
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
musicman691

Re: Using ssd's on Mac ?

Post by musicman691 »

Aramis wrote:Hello all,
They shouldn't slow down if Trim is properly implemented and unfortunately Apple has disabled Trim on third party ssd's; you have to use a third party utility like Trim Enabler. Also make sure you have plenty of free space on the ssd; typically you don't want to go no more than 80 per cent full.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also, for future reference, Apple installed SSDs don't require Trim.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

musicman691 wrote:
Aramis wrote:Hello all,
They shouldn't slow down if Trim is properly implemented and unfortunately Apple has disabled Trim on third party ssd's; you have to use a third party utility like Trim Enabler. Also make sure you have plenty of free space on the ssd; typically you don't want to go no more than 80 per cent full.
My product is a LaCie thunderbolt drive ( SSD )
Nobody told me I had to use such and such a software tool.
My drive worked fine for a year and suddenly started to be very slow when writing.
LaCie replaced it under warranty by a refurbished one that worked fine for another year until now . The refurbished one started to fail last week and again the writing was very slow.
I have to specify that the drive does not really fail but it is very slow writing .
Is LaCie forgetting to tell me to use the Trim tool or what ?

Aramis
Last edited by Aramis on Sat May 30, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

I'm loving my setup- I have 2 500 GB SSD's (a Samsung 850 and a OCZ) in a USB 3 dual dock external to my Mac Mini. The Samsung is my boot/System drive and contains current DP projects only; the OCZ holds my samples. (The slowpoke 5400 RPM drive in the Mini is just a cloned backup of the Samsung.) I also have an external Hitachi 4 TB drive for all other data (non-current DP Projects, as well as all other non-music files.) As Mike has stated several times, I can't use Trim since my SSD's are connected by USB3, but I haven't had any problems or slowdowns as of yet.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok, TRIM is part of the OS. On Apple SSDs, it's automatically enabled; on 3rd party SSDs, it's blocked.

Trim Enable.app unblocks TRIM for non-Apple SSDs. It has some other cool features as well. It works fine on Yosemite but you need to be aware of some issues.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=59419

TRIM requires PCIe or SATA does not work over ThunderBolt (unless PCIe in a TB enclosure) nor USB although there are companies working on that and one has announced a solution for USB 3 on their SSDs only with a proprietary driver. They also have SSDs that fool the OS into thinking that they are Apple OE (it will be interesting to see if Apple does anything about that!).
http://www.angelbird.com/en/prod/ssd2go ... ifications

If your SSD starts slowing down, it can be because TRIM isn't running; it can be because your drive is full. Not having a good garbage collection scheme will do it, thus the need for TRIM.

Are you running any disk optimization software? If so, you are causing the problem. Pro apps like TechTool Pro will not run optimization on an SSD. Crapware will optimize the drive and the developers tell you it's ok so they can get their $39. Way too many reasons but I've posted links on another thread. Short reason: you are filling the drive and garbage collection can't work.

If you have eSATA or a spare SATA internal port, you can Trim externals by hooking up the raw drive to SATA. You must have Trim enabled on your main drive - it can be a HD through Trim Enabler.app - Run Apple Disk Utility on the whole drive, not the named partition, and it will Trim your external. Then you can pop your drive back into its TB or USB 3 enclosure.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

LaCie do not recommend to use Trim with their products.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
Are you running any disk optimization software? If so, you are causing the problem. Pro apps like TechTool Pro will not run optimization on an SSD. Crapware will optimize the drive and the developers tell you it's ok so they can get their $39. Way too many reasons but I've posted links on another thread. Short reason: you are filling the drive and garbage collection can't work.
Since time immemorial I've never had good luck with Mac disk optimization software of any kind. Disk defrag on a Mac toaster and it actually worked slower than before. Ditto for a Mac pizza box. System 6. Not good.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Aramis wrote:LaCie do not recommend to use Trim with their products.
Fail.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

HCMarkus wrote:
Fail.
Con you be more explicit ?
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

I never use optimization on MAC .
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Aramis wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:
Fail.
Con you be more explicit ?
Discussion here… http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=15
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:Since time immemorial I've never had good luck with Mac disk optimization software of any kind. Disk defrag on a Mac toaster and it actually worked slower than before. Ditto for a Mac pizza box. System 6. Not good.
iDefrag worked fine for me, but for a few years now, it's been generally unnecessary. OS X deals with smaller files. For me at least, the larger files are of the write once read many variety, like samples on a separate drive, so defragging these is unnecessary too. If for some reason these files get heavily fragmented, it's faster to erase the disk and rewrite the files from a backup.

The exception is heavily fragmented empty space, which iDrfrag can deal with, but OS X doesn't. There was a time when OS X appeared to work better with large amounts of contiguous free space. But even that doesn't seem to be much of a problem in the last couple of OS X versions.

It's good that this, along with most other Mac and OS X maintenance routines are a thing of the past. I wish Apple would get permissions sorted out. Can't believe that's still an issue after all these years.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Since LaCie doesn't make any of their products, it's not an issue. Can you tell whose SSD they are reboxing? If it connects over TB or USB, it's not an issue as Trim won't work anyway.

If SATA, eSATA or PCIe, Unblock TRIM either with Trim Enabler.app or find the command lines that do so. I don't see a LaCie SSD that connects via eSATA although they do have a TB to eSATA interface and I have no idea if it supports TRIM – it should but that doesn't mean that is does.

I used to defrag my HDs with TechTool Pro. It hasn't made any kind of difference since OS 10.6.x except in one respect: If it fails, I know to look for a bad drive or bad RAM. I will find one or the other, same as a failed clone.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

iDefrag worked fine for me, but for a few years now, it's been generally unnecessary.
iDefrag will attempt to optimize SSDs. That is irresponsible at best and can make the drive run slow or worse.

Their disclaimer in very small type: This problem largely does not affect SSDs — though they do still perform less well if files are fragmented, the difference is much smaller and for most SSD users it won’t be worth spending the time defragmenting.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.