If space not an issue, install app data at default location?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: If space not an issue, install app data at default locat

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Three days to reauthorize? Even three hours is a bit over the top. What the f$%<( are you using? Let me guess... Waves. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A load of different plugins and apps that all have a different approach to authorizations, require updates, search through old emails to find codes, support from vendors to get new codes and counts, downloads of samples, and so on. Three days elapsed by time all the support requests are answered, all the new stuff is up and tested, and everything is running properly.

Seems to me it took about that long if not longer when you got the nMP?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

That's because I was installing everything from scratch and had to do it twice. I will have to do it one more time soon as some legacy stuff crept in and internet access is taking about 3 minutes to connect. WiFi requires a reboot to be recognized as well as a result. But just updating the OS and not having the reload all the apps and sample discs usually only takes about about an hour or two at most. I use iLok as much as possible as that speeds up the process a lot.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was installing everything from scratch too, although not twice. iLok makes a big difference, and I use it where I can, but I have loads of plugins that don't use it. I should probably get rid of most of them.
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, from scratch, yes, three days is reasonable. I misunderstood that part. BTW< it totallysucks to have to do that! :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, from scratch because it would involve removing a partition that is not at the bottom of the partition list.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Other than that, there is no longer an advantage to partitioning a drive -- even less to partitioning an SSD.
I agree, but I do usually have more than one OS X available at once, so I have partitions -- three at the moment. Doing it is easy using DiskUtility, and erasing the drive is not required, but Backup is good.
Same here, Bays. A clean one for DP, a 10.8.5 one and a 10.9.2 "Fat" one where I do everything non-music related... which is everything. LOL
bayswater wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that once you have partitions, there are some limitations in getting rid of them. You can get rid of the partition at the "bottom" of the list in DiskUtility, but not the one at the top. So it's useful to plan partitioning with these things in mind.
Yup. Bit of a PITA.
bayswater wrote:Of course, you could move everything from the lower partitions to upper partitions, and remove the newly emptied lower partitions, but then you're into reauthorizations, etc. Took me three days the last time I had to do it.
I've found that DU images retain auths. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never had to re-auth anything in a newly-installed image.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:I've found that DU images retain auths. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never had to re-auth anything in a newly-installed image.
Interesting. I only tried it once, and things like NI, DSP-Q, and others did not survive the move. Is there something specific you did? Did the image go to a different partition or physical disk, or back to the same partition and disk?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:I've found that DU images retain auths. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never had to re-auth anything in a newly-installed image.
Interesting. I only tried it once, and things like NI, DSP-Q, and others did not survive the move. Is there something specific you did? Did the image go to a different partition or physical disk, or back to the same partition and disk?
I think the difference comes in depending on whether you do the OSX install overtop of an existing install or on a clean partition. When I did the partition/install for Mavericks I used Migration Assisstant to move over everything but programs and that took care of a couple of authorizations but NOT my NI stuff or Sampletank 3; everything else is on an iLok. I just had to have the ILM s/w installed on the new partition.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:
I think the difference comes in depending on whether you do the OSX install overtop of an existing install or on a clean partition. When I did the partition/install for Mavericks I used Migration Assisstant to move over everything but programs and that took care of a couple of authorizations but NOT my NI stuff or Sampletank 3; everything else is on an iLok. I just had to have the ILM s/w installed on the new partition.
No installation involved, Jack. I just wiped the partition involved and restored the DU-produced image to it.
bayswater wrote:
Different partitions at least some of the time, but always the same disks, Bays.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here