wired trackpad

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: wired trackpad

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:FWIW MS Office is a crapshoot in OSX - sometimes it runs fine and other times not so much on a similar spec machine. Remember that MS is first and foremost a Windoze developer.
Well, it's not just a Windows thing is it? Same thing happens with OS X
as we see in this thread.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:FWIW MS Office is a crapshoot in OSX - sometimes it runs fine and other times not so much on a similar spec machine. Remember that MS is first and foremost a Windoze developer.
Well, it's not just a Windows thing is it? Same thing happens with OS X
as we see in this thread.
The point I was trying to get across is Mac support from MS is an afterthought at best. There's been rumours of a new MS Office for Mac for quite a while now but it's apparently vaporware.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you considered plugging a Bluetooth dongle into your wired keyboard?

Even in RF Hell, if the dongle was immediately adjacent to a wireless Apple trackpad, it might work.

I physically disconnected the internal Bluetooth in my MP (never worked well, especially because my Mac is situated far away from my desk) and enjoy flawless Bluetooth reception for my Magic Mouse with the dongle less than a foot away.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

HCMarkus wrote:Have you considered plugging a Bluetooth dongle into your wired keyboard?

Even in RF Hell, if the dongle was immediately adjacent to a wireless Apple trackpad, it might work.

I physically disconnected the internal Bluetooth in my MP (never worked well, especially because my Mac is situated far away from my desk) and enjoy flawless Bluetooth reception for my Magic Mouse with the dongle less than a foot away.
I don't know if that would help because my iMac is only a foot or so away from where I work. If I did it on the keyboard it would have to be on an extension cable though (I don't like hard-connected dongles - my iLok is on a 'dongle buddy' for that reason). Would a generic BT dongle work?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The point I was trying to get across is Mac support from MS is an afterthought at best. There's been rumours of a new MS Office for Mac for quite a while now but it's apparently vaporware.
Rumors? Do you mean the official announcements from Microsoft? They've been promising it since 2014 and now say it will happen this year. I'm not holding my breath. Anyone foolish enough to subscribe to 365 is getting Office 2011 still -- but, hey, if you are paying the subscription price, you get the new version "free".

Vaporware? No. Smoking crack in Mountain View? Maybe. The Office for Mac parking lot is always full so somebody's doing something there. I live about a mile away and pass by that building at least once a week -- it's the original home of Power Point before MS bought it.

I do not like Office 2011 and took the opportunity to remove it last October. As long as 2008 still works, I'm good. The only thing I liked about 2011 was that it was a lot faster than 2008. Interestingly, in Mavericks and Yosemite, 2008 became just as fast.

If Office 2016 -- or whatever they call it, integrates well with iCloud and GoogleDocs, I might consider it if I can buy without going on Subscription. Otherwise, I'm happy with 2008.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can read more and preview Office 2016 here
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-soft ... l-3456798/

Spoiler alert: Yosemite is the minimum OS.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

musicman691 wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Have you considered plugging a Bluetooth dongle into your wired keyboard?

I don't know if that would help because my iMac is only a foot or so away from where I work. If I did it on the keyboard it would have to be on an extension cable though (I don't like hard-connected dongles - my iLok is on a 'dongle buddy' for that reason). Would a generic BT dongle work?
I used a $10 BT dongle that, based on Amazon reviews, I expected to work. It did. It is so low-profile (i.e. unlike an iLok) that it presents no "lever", thus no extension cable is required.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

HCMarkus wrote:
musicman691 wrote:

I used a $10 BT dongle that, based on Amazon reviews, I expected to work. It did. It is so low-profile (i.e. unlike an iLok) that it presents no "lever", thus no extension cable is required.
Thanks for this. Do you have a link to what you are talking about because if so it would help a lot.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. Was going to suggest something by Logitech. They have a number of wireless devices that come with their own receiver USB dongle which is very low profile. Mine is plugged into my keyboard and the mouse is just inches away from it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Make certain the dongle supports Bluetooth 4 and you should be good.

Apple never supported BT 2.x but some of the older ones are still out there for sale. The Magic Trackpad doesn't like those.