CD/DVD tray will NOT open…

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

WPB52
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CD/DVD tray will NOT open…

Post by WPB52 »

I have a Macpro 3,1 with the boot drive down. I installed a SSD on PCIe card for
new OS install. First , however, is to simply start the machine using my original factory disks,
but the CD/DVD tray will not open with any key commands.
(Command + C , command + eject , eject, etc. )

Any thoughts ?

No , I can not get to the terminal to type in drutiltrayeject either…

When , trying to boot machine, the Apple logo appears and the horizontal progress appears stopping mid way with a single band of the what appears to be white noise , only video. This band is approx 1" tall and is displayed across the entire screen with the rest of the monitor black. I have connected this Macpro to a laptop in 'Target Mode' and the 2 additional installed drives appear on the laptop's desktop , but the boot drive does not. I have also connected the monitor to another machine and it works normally. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance … Schweats
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CD/DVD tray will NOT open…

Post by mikehalloran »

First , however, is to simply start the machine using my original factory disks,
Why would you do that?

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Try re-booting the machine and as it's booting hit the eject key repeatedly. I had a dvd that wouldn't eject for some reason and that's how I finally got it out (but I don't know how far into the boot process it ejected). Worth a try anyway.

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:Log into the App Store, install Yosemite and restore from Time Machine.
I'm confused. I thought the machine's boot drive was fubar and that's why he wants to boot from DVD. If he can't boot how can he log into App store, or am I missing something. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have ya tried starting up holding down the mouse buttons?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nearly all CD players with trays have a small hole in the front. Insert a straightened paper clip. Unless the mechanism is jammed beyond repair, it will open.

You may have to remove the drive from your Mac to do this.

Replacement drives were around $20 last time I bought one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Exactly. I've always kept a half-straightened (retaining one of the curved ends for grip and comfort) paper clip at hand for this purpose.

As Mike implied, sometimes the Mac's grille can prevent access to the hole; some models do, some don't, and it obviously depends upon the drive model as well. In these cases you'd have to remove it and then do the paper-clip thing.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

Update …

The comment to hold down both mouse buttons simultaneously to eject the disk tray worked.
Holding the 'C' key after the startup chime produced a dialog box stating that I need to restart
the computer (in 4 different languages no less) Each subsequent restart and 'C' key hold
produced the same results… the dialog to do it again.Additionally, I restarted holding the 'option' key. This produced 2 different dialog boxes 1) a pic of OS X on a CD indicating I should click on it. I did and it took me back to the "Need to restart computer" dialog.
2) a pic of a folder with a similar indication that I should click on it - same results.
I do not live in area with an Apple store/genius bar (closest is 105 miles away in the outer Chicago burbs AND the closest authorized Apple service is 40 miles away - I guess I need to move or buy 2 of every drive I purchase in the future.) I currently checked the machine into a local shop who assured me they can rectify things…… we'll see if I pay for results or simply efforts.
Thanks you to those who offered comments - I'll post further
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh man. You poor bugger.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here