Yosemite YUCK

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Morpheo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite YUCK

Post by Morpheo »

James Steele wrote:
Morpheo wrote:Updated to 10.10.3 yesterday on my 2 machines. Both are extremely happy with it so far, even my 1,1 Mac Pro 8)
How'd you get Yosemite on the MacPro1,1? I jumped through hoops and put Mavericks on it, but ended up taking it off when Messenger didn't work. I had wanted to be able to message iPhones with it.
It's roughly the same procedure for Yosemite as it was for Mavericks, so it can be done relatively easily. A few people on other forums have reported issues with the installation but most of the time they don't know what they're doing, and they end up with a faulty usb installer. The best way imo is to use the boot.efi method, because the OS itself stays untouched. It's a very "safe" way to install the latest OS on this supposedly unsupported model. I have to admit Yosemite so far works like a charm on this Mac Pro, I love this machine and I'm glad there's still life in the old beast ;) FWIW Messages works perfectly fine, even Facetime calls! Although I find it a bit overkill when my iPhone sits right next to me! If you're interested I can pm you all the details about the installation procedure, as it's probably a bit off topic for this discussion.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Morpheo wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Morpheo wrote:Updated to 10.10.3 yesterday on my 2 machines. Both are extremely happy with it so far, even my 1,1 Mac Pro 8)
How'd you get Yosemite on the MacPro1,1? I jumped through hoops and put Mavericks on it, but ended up taking it off when Messenger didn't work. I had wanted to be able to message iPhones with it.
It's roughly the same procedure for Yosemite as it was for Mavericks, so it can be done relatively easily. A few people on other forums have reported issues with the installation but most of the time they don't know what they're doing, and they end up with a faulty usb installer. The best way imo is to use the boot.efi method, because the OS itself stays untouched. It's a very "safe" way to install the latest OS on this supposedly unsupported model. I have to admit Yosemite so far works like a charm on this Mac Pro, I love this machine and I'm glad there's still life in the old beast ;) FWIW Messages works perfectly fine, even Facetime calls! Although I find it a bit overkill when my iPhone sits right next to me! If you're interested I can pm you all the details about the installation procedure, as it's probably a bit off topic for this discussion.
I would love to hear the details. I believed I used boot.efi method also, but I kept getting an error when I tried to log into my Apple ID to enable messaging. They key reason I wanted to update past Lion was to be able to message iPhones from my office Mac which is a 1,1. I found a lot of posts on various forums who could not get past this error when signing into messaging. As I recall I had to set up the hard drive in the bay of my MacPro5,1 and then move to the 1,1. I do remember having a difficult time deleting the old .efi file, but eventually did it with terminal I suppose. I'm hazy on the details now.

Anyway, yes... if you would be that kind to share the details (or a link to good instructions) with me via PM, I'd appreciate it very much.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:
Morpheo wrote: It's roughly the same procedure for Yosemite as it was for Mavericks, so it can be done relatively easily. A few people on other forums have reported issues with the installation but most of the time they don't know what they're doing, and they end up with a faulty usb installer. The best way imo is to use the boot.efi method, because the OS itself stays untouched. It's a very "safe" way to install the latest OS on this supposedly unsupported model. I have to admit Yosemite so far works like a charm on this Mac Pro, I love this machine and I'm glad there's still life in the old beast ;) FWIW Messages works perfectly fine, even Facetime calls! Although I find it a bit overkill when my iPhone sits right next to me! If you're interested I can pm you all the details about the installation procedure, as it's probably a bit off topic for this discussion.
I would love to hear the details. I believed I used boot.efi method also, but I kept getting an error when I tried to log into my Apple ID to enable messaging. They key reason I wanted to update past Lion was to be able to message iPhones from my office Mac which is a 1,1. I found a lot of posts on various forums who could not get past this error when signing into messaging. As I recall I had to set up the hard drive in the bay of my MacPro5,1 and then move to the 1,1. I do remember having a difficult time deleting the old .efi file, but eventually did it with terminal I suppose. I'm hazy on the details now.

Anyway, yes... if you would be that kind to share the details (or a link to good instructions) with me via PM, I'd appreciate it very much.
I'd like to know too. I have a 1,1 and am interested in how to smoothly do this.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:of late there's been some frontal nudity. Ewwww!
Mystery solved.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

James Steele wrote: I would love to hear the details. I believed I used boot.efi method also, but I kept getting an error when I tried to log into my Apple ID to enable messaging. They key reason I wanted to update past Lion was to be able to message iPhones from my office Mac which is a 1,1. I found a lot of posts on various forums who could not get past this error when signing into messaging. As I recall I had to set up the hard drive in the bay of my MacPro5,1 and then move to the 1,1. I do remember having a difficult time deleting the old .efi file, but eventually did it with terminal I suppose. I'm hazy on the details now.

billf wrote: I'd like to know too. I have a 1,1 and am interested in how to smoothly do this.
I'll pm you both later today (or tonight :wink: ) then... I think I have the OSInstall.mpkg already patched somewhere, and all the critical files required for building the usb installer, that could save you some time as well.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
billf

Post by billf »

Thank you :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Morpheo wrote:I'll pm you both later today (or tonight :wink: ) then... I think I have the OSInstall.mpkg already patched somewhere, and all the critical files required for building the usb installer, that could save you some time as well.
That would be awesome, thanks! The on thing that has been driving me nuts on Lion on my MacPro1,1 is the inability to message iPhones from it. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Updating now. Personally, I don't get the hate for Safari. It seems as speedy and efficient as Chrome, which used to be my browser of choice for the longest, which I finally ditched because I got tired of the mysterious "Google Chrome Helper" process eating up every last bit of memory and CPU.
Last edited by cuttime on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Let's see, everything is working and life is peaceful here with Mavericks.

I guess I'm ready to install Yosemite!

And then further procrastinate editing and finishing a song I've been 'working' on three years by buying the H3000 plug, in spite of the fact that I've got five great plugs I'm very happy with that do more or less the same thing!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:And then further procrastinate editing and finishing a song I've been 'working' on three years by buying the H3000 plug, in spite of the fact that I've got five great plugs I'm very happy with that do more or less the same thing!
Hmmm... you may be my long lost twin brother... :lol:

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote:
Tobor wrote:And then further procrastinate editing and finishing a song I've been 'working' on three years by buying the H3000 plug, in spite of the fact that I've got five great plugs I'm very happy with that do more or less the same thing!
Hmmm... you may be my long lost twin brother... :lol:
Hey, we've both got blonde hair.... although only the sides and back can grow long anymore for me.

I'm exceedingly receding.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

10.10.3 seems cool here. DP8.07 and MOTU drivers all behaving as expected so far. Now off to get my Apple Watch! :koolaid:

(kidding about the watch).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got tired of the mysterious "Google Chrome Helper" process eating up every last bit of memory and CPU.
?????

I have no idea what you are talking about. I switched to Chrome in 2010.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mikehalloran wrote:
I got tired of the mysterious "Google Chrome Helper" process eating up every last bit of memory and CPU.
?????

I have no idea what you are talking about. I switched to Chrome in 2010.
This after about three minutes of use and five tabs. After a while, many will report as "Not Responding":

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:This after about three minutes of use and five tabs. After a while, many will report as "Not Responding":
A quick search comes up with some suggestions. E.g., this:
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/google-chrome-helper/
says, among other things,
"The quick story is that Google Chrome Helper isn’t really the problem. It tends to go on the rampage when there’s a rogue extension or when Google Chrome’s plug-in settings are configured to run everything by default. There’s a long list of the plug-ins supported by Chrome here, but most users in the Help Center forums seem to run into trouble when it’s working with Flash content."

It appears that each instance is actually the process for a plugin, and some of them might not work properly. I noticed that Chrome uses a different version of Flash Player than Safari now.

Anyway, if Safari works for you, that's great. I wish it worked for me -- I like it better, but it really is a lot slower on my systems.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8