Yosemite YUCK

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yosemite YUCK

Post by amplidood »

Just had to install this on a friend's lappy today and...

Apple's Yosemite operating system is the ugliest UI I have ever seen. The lack of depth, the loss of contrast and the horrible flat dimensioning to EVERYTHING make the eye work harder than ever to quickly distinguish what is seeing. Some of the icon design is pretty nice, but the general environment is NOT pleasant to look at all. They've decided everything needs to be some barely discernible shade of eggshell and have ZERO three dimensional feel to it at all.

If this is the permanent direction of Apple, they will lose their preeminence as design leaders in this world. iOS7 and 8 were bad enough graphically. The total extreme abandonment of real beautiful and appealing design has apparently lost to a hipster-like mentality of doing something for the sake of doing it, not whether it's actually artistic or not.
mikehalloran

Re: Yosemite YUCK

Post by mikehalloran »

Other than that, it's Apple's best OS since 10.4.11.

The look takes a little getting used to but I've no problem with it -- something I can't say for any Windows version ever.

Even then, I'm still more concerned with what it can do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I saw the thread and not the participants and the first thought I had was "sounds like the whole DP 6 thing that started folks tweaking the GUI."

Lol.

It did seem "flat" to me at first but as with DP and all things computer, the GUI color scheme is much less important to me than the actual function. Maybe because I cut my teeth on an Apple II (green on black) and mono screened Ataris before moving to the 256 color Macs. I always hated that other computer color scheme (Amiga).

A bit more "thematic control wouldn't be terrible., but it is a great OS for the most part.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm still on the fence about updating to Yosemite after finally resolving my issues in Mavericks (without really know the cause or what fixed it).

I had been hanging back and observing threads about Yosemite. It's kind of hard to know the status of all the glitches that were reported early on; whether they were resolved in subsequent updates either of the applications or the OS, or if the users had to live with the glitches or just ended up working around them somehow.

I am reassured by Mike that it is a better OS. (I was a happy fan of 10.4.11-- which I still run it on a legacy machine). I've used Yosemite lightly on my wife's laptop and it seems fine in terms of basic use.

I might try cloning my drive and installing it on the clone and seeing what (if anything) breaks, software-wise.

On a kind of meta note, I think Apple often finds itself at this fork in the road between function and style (for lack of a better word). And they can picture their ultra-sharp, close-up, product fly-overs with a white background and say, "Can we make that button much smaller, and make it much less visible?" ..."Can we make it thinner, smoother, harder to hold?" "Can we make the fonts thinner, smoother, harder to see?"

They walk a line that seems to underscore that they have to make people WANT the device first. So they make an appealing package, where thin is IT. It is funny to watch the screen size breath as they can't find the sweet spot between small and big. But I digress.

Anyways, it is useful to read peoples' reactions to the GUI on Yosemite. I can imagine the vast teams of insiders saying "Can we make the buttons glow a little?"
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm ok with the flat look although a bit more contrast between active and background objects would be nice. I agree with Mike that it works very well, at least as of 10.10.2. But I don't like the incessant nagging about iCloud, location services and so on. Reminds me of the toaster in Red Dwarf.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Dark Menu Bars and Dock (System Preferences>General) help a lot, but I, for one, am SO glad to see the skeuomorphism go away, once and for all.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

amplidood wrote:Just had to install this on a friend's lappy today and...

Apple's Yosemite operating system is the ugliest UI I have ever seen. The lack of depth, the loss of contrast and the horrible flat dimensioning to EVERYTHING make the eye work harder than ever to quickly distinguish what is seeing. Some of the icon design is pretty nice, but the general environment is NOT pleasant to look at all. They've decided everything needs to be some barely discernible shade of eggshell and have ZERO three dimensional feel to it at all.

If this is the permanent direction of Apple, they will lose their preeminence as design leaders in this world. iOS7 and 8 were bad enough graphically. The total extreme abandonment of real beautiful and appealing design has apparently lost to a hipster-like mentality of doing something for the sake of doing it, not whether it's actually artistic or not.
It's retro. At least it is in color, because what's old is new again and they could have gone further. :D

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

I have to agree with Andy here; I just updated to Yosemite from Mavericks last week, and even though I'm no art critic, I'm having trouble appreciating the Fisher-Price/Playskool visual vibe. (I bet if Charlie "Waffles" Harper, didn't pass on and was still composing, he would have found inspiration for his kiddie songs in the Yosemite UI!)

Although, I also have to agree with Mike, in that my system is running smoothly, and the update went without a hitch. I'm really enjoying my Mini since I got 2 SSD's and put my OS & DP Projects on one and my samples on the other. (I have them both in an external USB3 dual drive dock, and am using the pokey HD in the Mini as a backup System drive.)

Can't wait to see what surprises the new version of DP will bring to the table...
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yosemite's look is right in the pocket of hip UI design. That 3D junk is far more Fisher-Price.

Apple is in no danger of losing its cred.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

cuttime wrote:Dark Menu Bars and Dock (System Preferences>General) help a lot, but I, for one, am SO glad to see the skeuomorphism go away, once and for all.
Have to agree. I'm somebody that always liked the look of OS9 though. Give me skeuomorphism in the application, I would rather the OS disappear in the background. None of this is as bad as Vista, with it's RED and BLUE window buttons that made everything look as color blind design wise as a Russian church. For the record I've always turned the buttons in OSX to graphite as well.

Mostly Notifications are the only thing in Yosemite I'm not happy with.

That in no way means I think you should stop doing DP mods though. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

The entire argument in a nut sack...

Them's fightin' words, pard'ner...___________________Who you calling pard'ner, you washed out varmint!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote:
cuttime wrote:... Mostly Notifications are the only thing in Yosemite I'm not happy with...

If only there was a way to deal with that.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18740?locale=en_US
and
http://www.imore.com/how-block-contact- ... etime-os-x
and
http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/29/stop-oth ... hone-call/
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't like the incessant nagging about iCloud, location services and so on.
Me neither. See if this helps:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18975?lo ... cale=en_US
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
I don't like the incessant nagging about iCloud, location services and so on.
Me neither. See if this helps:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18975?lo ... cale=en_US
Thanks Mike. I've turned off a load of things. The problem is that the various devices keep telling me to turn them back on. The most annoying is Maps and Camera on the iPhone, but similar things happen on the MBP. I usually turn location services off, and every time I start up an app that can use location services, I'm asked if I want to turn it back on.

Does Anyone Want Location Services? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

Note the "X" on the side of the toaster. Is that just a coincidence? I think not.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8