Starting fresh

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dbl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Starting fresh

Post by dbl »

About to re-enter home recording after a long hiatus. A couple problems arose, partially due to my insistence on bringing along an Apogee Rosetta 24/96 with S/PDIF output, Apple's moves on updating ports and OSs, and my resistance to change.

What I have: I recently bought a refurbed 2012 Mini Core i7 2.6GHz, primarily because newer Macs don't appear to accept audio natively, let alone S/PDIF. So this should keep the Apogee happy. It shipped with a four gigs of RAM and a TB 5400 drive, loaded with Mavericks, although originally it likely shipped with Mountain Lion. I decided to have OWC install two SSDs and 16 gigs of RAM.

Prior to shipping to OWC, I booted from the internal Mav drive, then tested an external Mtn Lion drive which also booted, leading me to believe I'd be able to drop back a generation. Wrong! The machine's back now, but refuses to accept Mtn Lion on the internal drives—Mini presumably was flashed during original refurb, enabling 6GB comms with drives, but losing the internal ML ability.

What I liked a lot, in mid-olden days: Snow Leopard. What I've used, albeit in a minimalist, day-work fashion: Mtn Lion. What I've never touched: Yosemite.

Software: Even though I haven't recorded since W was president, I've updated DP, and have 7 and 8; Ivory, Sample Tank, Trillian; recently bought, never loaded Reaktor, a Miroslav pkg, 2-3 Slate plugs, couple drum libs (i.e. Addictive) and maybe five others that catch my mind at the moment. Oh, and B4 and JBridge, the latter picked up 1-2 years ago when I thought I'd get to this stage quicker. I'm aware of the utility (32 Lives?) that would "move" B4 AU to 64-bit use, but would prefer not to spend another $100 for B4, although it's an essential plug for me.

Lastly, it's just me in the studio, figure 16-20 tracks and partials per song, plus the noted softwares.

My question(s)…

Will I run into problems running ML from an external SSD? The internal drives will hold the libraries and recorded audio, as well as serving as data repositories. (Side note: When I booted from the external ML drive, the 6GBs speed was incredible, although the drive was otherwise unpopulated; I assume if this boots safely, the internals will prove plenty fast for streaming.)

With the given stats, will I want/need to move to 64-bit, and if so, would I be better moving on to Yosemite and doing some future prepping?

Given the last ?, please note the 16GB of RAM…that's the max allowed.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any light you can shed. And/or suggestions you might make.
2017 iMac 4.2 i7, 40 GB RAM, 256 SSD, multiple SSDs hanging. OS X 10.4.4.
mikehalloran

Re: Starting fresh

Post by mikehalloran »

They 2012 Mini i7 Quad Is the last one Apple made that powerful. You've had it tricked out as well as it can be done.

You talk about running ML as if it's a good thing but have given no reason why. if you are "starting fresh" start with Yosemite.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dbl

Post by dbl »

Thanks much. One more question I forgot to ask regards moving my music software and associated pref, lib files and (hopefully) authorizations from my 2008 music Mac. Can you recommend a procedure of least pain and suffering to move/transfer 'em? TIA
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is no easy way to get everything reauthorized. Putting as much as possible on ilok and elicencer and using migration assistant is one approach. Otherwise, having a good record of the codes, sites and procedures used previously, patience, and having your favourite beverage at hand helps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Deauthorize everything that uses internet verification except DP 8 (not necessary). ILok and elicenser will not be a problem.

The easiest way is to use Migration Assistant from your old Mac or restore from a Time Machine backup. OS 10.9.4 has a bug so be on 10.9.5 or Yosemite. Any serial number authorizations will survive as will many other types. A 1T restore can take overnight via usb, faster by ethernet but still slow unless you can hook up your old HD via USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

DP 7.24 will require authorization from a CD player which your new Mini does not have. There are ways to make your old Mac's CD player work or any USB external will.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dbl

Post by dbl »

Many thanks, gentlemen. I expect part of the process to resemble a hairball, but look forward to the end result.