yosemite from 10.6.8?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

yosemite from 10.6.8?

Post by Julia123 »

I've been avoiding updating from OS 10.6.8 till I get a new computer but that is not happening anytime soon now because of $$. I'm thinking now is as good as ever to move forward to the latest OS. Is there anything that I should be careful of before I do this? Is it as simple as downloading the new OS?

I have the following plug-ins/music apps etc.:

DSP Quattro, Voxengo Scan, Omnisphere, PLAY, Stylus RMX, Addictive Drums, Camel Crusher, Eareckon, Kush UBK, Isotope: Ally, Ozone 5, Studder Edit, Nectar, Apple AU plugs that I think I recall using something called soundflower to connect, and DP 8.05 which I will bring up to date after.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: yosemite from 10.6.8?

Post by monkey man »

One of the biggest disappointments for me after moving to Mavericks (not the latest, which is Yosemite - it's 10.9.x), has been the loss of MIDI Preview (with the spacebar). I've yet to find a way to get it to work again; I tried a shedload of things a while back after scouring forums and eventually gave up. Hoping Apple will re-introduce it at some point.

If you don't rely on this feature, Julia, you'll probably be OK.

Some synth editor / librarian apps fell off the radar too, such as the Roland JV/XV editor as well as the librarian. Sysex librarian does still work 'though.

PS: MacMAME won't work past 10.8.5, which was also a HUGE disappointment for me, but unless you're into '70s & '80s video game emulation, you'll probably survive. I'm still in pain. Asteroids... Galaga... uuuggghhh...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OS 10.8.2 was a watershed release; Yosemite was another. By that, I mean that Apple tightened up the OS so that apps and .kext libraries that don't meet their Toolkit may not load – in some instances, they can crash your Mac.

If you ever installed CD Spin Doctor bundled with Toast or the Bresink Temp Monitor, these are two known culprits and must be removed completely, including hidden files, before doing the OS update.

There is the Carbon/Cocoa graphics issue where some plugs will no longer work after OS 10.8.2 in DP 7.24 – others won't work in DP 8 without 32Lives installed. If you have one of 14 ATI graphics cards, some of your apps and plugins may need an update because of a firmware issue that will never be resolved.

There is an issue that many have with Apple's Magic Trackpad in DP 8 (and others don't). MOTU knows about it and has promised a fix.

If you boot from an SSD (recommended), there are cautions and workarounds involving Trim. Enabling it is recommended but there are things you need to know. There are threads on this.

You list the following: iMac OS X 10.6.8, Dual Core. OK but you don't mention which chip set. OS 10.8-10.10 require a Core2 Duo or later processor (i3/5/7).

If you have a Core Duo processor, you are limited to OS 10.7 which has its issues and where certain functionality was broken, especially scanning. If that's the case, you may wish to hold tight till you can get a newer Mac. A used 27" iMac 2009 i7 or later will run circles around a Core Duo. The FPU in the i7 chip set makes certain DP functions a lot faster. The 2009-2012 can be updated to an internal SSD which really makes them rock'n'roll (the 2011-current can boot from a Thunderbolt dock).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks for the warnings! I do have CD Spin Doctor 2, is this '2' version a problem as well? My computer is an i3 with an ATI Radeon HD 4670, I'm confused as to whether this is one of the 14 ones you are referring to? Fortunately the other DP specific issues won't affect me as far as I can tell.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Julia123 wrote:Thanks for the warnings! I do have CD Spin Doctor 2, is this '2' version a problem as well?
It doesn't work very well, does it? Yep, this must be removed. I'll have to look for the library that needs to be trashed so that it doesn't crash your system. Removing it is easy.

My computer is an i3 with an ATI Radeon HD 4670, I'm confused as to whether this is one of the 14 ones you are referring to? Fortunately the other DP specific issues won't affect me as far as I can tell.
I will look up the card but the work-around is a) knowing about it and b) updating those apps that otherwise crash.

An i3 can be updated to Yosemite.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks for looking into this. I didn't even know Spin Doctor was on my computer. I still use my old toast 6 though.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

To remove CD Spin Doctor, find and trash Terminus.kext. This will keep it from crashing your Mac in OS 10.8.2 and later. You may have to search for System Files in Find -- it's been years since I dealt with it.

Terminus.kext installs the first time you attempt to run CD Spin Dr. or Spin Dr. X. Merely having it in your Toast folder does not cause the problem. Trash it anyway.
I still use my old toast 6 though
It will no longer work.

Although certain builds of Toast 9 and later still work, Toast 12 was the one that finally did away with all versions of Spin Doctor. Toast 12.1 works quite well in Yosemite (no issues that I can find – unlike 11) and is worth the upgrade, IMO. It replaces Spin Dr. with Live Screen Capture.app which I like.
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

Seems a good thread to ask this, since I'm having trouble finding answers elsewhere -- thoughts on DP 7.24 on Yosemite? I know it's technically not supported. I've been on OS 10.8.5 for a couple of years and everything I have has worked fine. Upgrading to Yosemite would be nice for various reasons, but I can't afford to do so if it would make DP inoperable.
Mark S. Meritt -- http://marksmeritt.com/
Potluck Creative Arts -- http://potluckcreativearts.com/

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

thoughts on DP 7.24 on Yosemite?
Works great except for any plugins that depend on Cocoa graphics. DP 7 is Cocoa based.

The Carbon/Cocoa issue rarely applies to DP 8. However, 32bit only plugs do not work in DP 8 64bit.

I have 7.4 and 8.07 on my Mac. DP 7.24 is for projects with old plugins that will not run in 64bit.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

msmeritt wrote:Seems a good thread to ask this, since I'm having trouble finding answers elsewhere -- thoughts on DP 7.24 on Yosemite? I know it's technically not supported. I've been on OS 10.8.5 for a couple of years and everything I have has worked fine. Upgrading to Yosemite would be nice for various reasons, but I can't afford to do so if it would make DP inoperable.
It isn't THAT costly to move up to DP8. I highly recommend that you do so. You'll want to run it
in 64-bit mode. If you have old legacy plug-ins and VI's that you can't live without, you can "64-bit-ize" them with SoundRadix's 32 Lives application, available here:
http://www.soundradix.com

Like you, I was "scared" of moving to Yosemite on my 2008 MacBook, which had been running
10.8.5 without issues. The upgrade to Yosemite was basically painless, and everything I have on
my MacBook works fine in it, including DP 8.07.

If you divide the cost to upgrade to DP8 by 12, it's less than $20/month. And if you buy the upgrade now, I believe that you'll get DP9 free when it is released (not sure when that will be).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

I hadn't wanted to pay for 8 now because it came out so long ago. I upgraded to 7 when it was already somewhat old, but just too early to have 8 be free, and now I'm in the boat I'm in.

I couldn't find anything confirming that 9 would be free if upgrading to 8 now. Can you point me somewhere that substantiates that? If that's true, then I'd be waaayyyyyyyy more inclined to sport for the 8 upgrade now :)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

msmeritt wrote:Upgrading to Yosemite would be nice for various reasons, but I can't afford to do so if it would make DP inoperable.
I think you have two good answers, but another suggestion: I always have at least two partitions with different OS versions running on my main audio Mac. DP runs on the one with the older OS version until I'm sure it will work well on the newer OS version. Then I can switch and start using the older partition to test newer OS versions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

msmeritt wrote:I hadn't wanted to pay for 8 now because it came out so long ago. I upgraded to 7 when it was already somewhat old, but just too early to have 8 be free, and now I'm in the boat I'm in.

I couldn't find anything confirming that 9 would be free if upgrading to 8 now. Can you point me somewhere that substantiates that? If that's true, then I'd be waaayyyyyyyy more inclined to sport for the 8 upgrade now :)
In the past, when you bought DP within the same quarter as a newer version release, upgrading
has been free. I'm just going on what MOTU has usually done.

At this year's winter NAMM show, DP9 was shown. The release date was stated to be sometime in either the end of this quarter or the second quarter of 2015.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

msmeritt wrote:I hadn't wanted to pay for 8 now because it came out so long ago. I upgraded to 7 when it was already somewhat old, but just too early to have 8 be free, and now I'm in the boat I'm in.

Ask sales@motu.com
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8