yosemite from 10.6.8?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: yosemite from 10.6.8?

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
msmeritt wrote:I hadn't wanted to pay for 8 now because it came out so long ago. I upgraded to 7 when it was already somewhat old, but just too early to have 8 be free, and now I'm in the boat I'm in.

I couldn't find anything confirming that 9 would be free if upgrading to 8 now. Can you point me somewhere that substantiates that? If that's true, then I'd be waaayyyyyyyy more inclined to sport for the 8 upgrade now :)
Ask sales@motu.com
Others have already had this confirmed but, if you want your own confirming email, Bays a
Has given you the address.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

Just got my email from Dave Roberts, in which he says, "DP9 is expected to be ready for release within the next month or so. I can confirm that anyone who purchases DP8 this year is entitled to the DP9 upgrade for no additional charge."

So that's great news.

And FYI I was a bit silly and didn't search the boards here when I was looking for info about the free upgrade, I only searched Google, so I apologize if that extended this conversation unnecessarily.
Mark S. Meritt -- http://marksmeritt.com/
Potluck Creative Arts -- http://potluckcreativearts.com/

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Great. Now we only have about a dozen confirmations that MOTU will provide the update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
msmeritt

Post by msmeritt »

I made a point of apologizing, recognizing the issue, which I didn't have to. If someone had earlier pointed me to such a confirmation instead of suggesting I email MOTU myself, the conversation would have been done. That didn't happen, so be it. I quoted the email here to ensure at least that anyone who comes across this thread will have a solid answer. Was what you just posted a useful extension of the conversation?
Mark S. Meritt -- http://marksmeritt.com/
Potluck Creative Arts -- http://potluckcreativearts.com/

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB | OS 10.8.5 | MOTU Digital Performer 7.24 | NI Kontakt 5 | EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete | EW/QL Symphonic Choirs | QL Colossus | QL Ra | QL Stormdrum | EW Percussive Adventures 2 | EW/PMI Bosendorfer 290 Grand Piano | G-Force impOSCar 1.11
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or continue this, so ---I just continued this because all the info is here from what I've done so far. My computer and software/plugs ins haven't changed since the original post. (spending freeze--)

I kept putting off the OS upgrade because I had a bunch of overlapping projects over the next number of months, and then one thing after another, old plug ins I might miss, new OS paranoia, everything is still working great, etc. ---- and NOW, I really need to do the update! A good lesson on just keeping up with updates as they come along from now on!

I have done the prep work (spin doctor) that Mike suggested for Yosemite. (thanks again) Is there anything more that I should be aware of before I upgrade to El Capitan?

Non DP related, I read there may, or may not be mail issues?

Computer: My computer is an i3 with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 iMac OS X 10.6.8, Dual Core, 3.06 GHz, 12g Ram, DP 8.05,

I have the following plug-ins/music apps etc.:

DSP Quattro, Voxengo Scan, Omnisphere, PLAY, Stylus RMX, Addictive Drums, Camel Crusher, Eareckon, Kush UBK, Isotope: Ally, Ozone 5, Studder Edit, Nectar, Apple AU plugs that I think I recall using something called soundflower to connect, and DP 8.05 which I will bring up to date after.
Apogee One
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
frankf

yosemite from 10.6.8?

Post by frankf »

One thing to keep in mind about Apple Notes app if you sync it across OS X and ios9 devices using iCloud is that iCloud sync of Notes is broken between them if you stay in Yosemite, where my DP Mac Pro is sitting.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

One thing to keep in mind about Apple Notes app if you sync it across OS X and ios9 devices using iCloud is that iCloud sync of Notes is broken between them if you stay in Yosemite, where my DP Mac Pro is sitting.
True. iOS 9 syncs with OS 10.11.
Non DP related, I read there may, or may not be mail issues?
Yes, there may or may not be email issues. It depends on your host. There are workarounds for most of the issues.

OS 10.11 is supposed to prevent non-compliant apps and plugins from working. Many apps and drivers have been updated and the USB issues seem to have been sorted out with the latest drivers. Many 32bit only apps will not work but others like Toast 9 Basic, DP 7.24, QuickTime 7.6.6 and DSP-Quatro do.

32bit Carbon based plugs may come back to life if you buy 32Lives. Otherwise they may play back but their GUIs will not be visible in DP 9. All of my plugs have been updated or replaced except the MDA freeware—I didn't expect that to work in 32Lives but it does. I will replace those plugins eventually but no reason to right now. I no longer use MDA in anything new.

Office 2008 and later works; 2004 does not. The list goes on.

Very few reports of Macs crashing after the upgrade—unlike OS 10.8–10.10.3.

Do Repair Permissions in Terminal. Copy the following and paste:
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks so much!
mikehalloran wrote: Do Repair Permissions in Terminal. Copy the following and paste:
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /
I'm not sure what to do with this?
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

So far so good.
It didn't like DP 8.05 but I updated to 8.07 and it appears OK.

I figured out where terminal is but am not sure how to go about pasting in the box, do I delete what's there first? I don't want to do something stupid since I've never used that before.

My mail appears to work and my internet is faster! Maybe other things are, we'll see.

My scroll is opposite, I think I'll just adjust to it.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Julia123 wrote: My scroll is opposite, I think I'll just adjust to it.
You can change that in the mouse settings in System Preferences.
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

stevenew wrote:
Julia123 wrote: My scroll is opposite, I think I'll just adjust to it.
You can change that in the mouse settings in System Preferences.

Thanks! I'm going back, old habits.