Upgrading my MacBook Pro...advice needed

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

deckard1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Upgrading my MacBook Pro...advice needed

Post by deckard1 »

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my Mac for making music with DP8 and some sample libraries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have the following MacBook Pro: 15" Retina, Late 2013, 2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 256 GB Flash Storage, 8 GB RAM.

1. ) Is a flash storage drive the same thing as an SSD drive? If not, can I have someone put an SSD drive in to replace the flash storage? If so, how big of a drive can be put in?

2.) Is the RAM upgradable?

3.) Any other suggestions to speed my Mac up?

Many thanks. :D
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
mikehalloran

Re: Upgrading my MacBook Pro...advice needed

Post by mikehalloran »

The Retina MBP is not upgradable. The non-Retina is. Both types were made in 2013.

Internal flash drives are a blade type of SSD. There are vendors who have larger Apple OEM units if yours didn't ship with the largest available -- you generally find them on eBay when they are available. Other than that, there is nothing else available that I know about.

OWC has 1T and 2T units for Retina iMacs and the new Mac Pro but I don't recall anything for the Retina MBP. Likewise, the RAM is soldered in.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAICT, 8Go Ram will allow most VIs, but may be short with huge ones.

256 Go SSD may be short to host OS, DP projects and sample libraries.
I don't think you can upgrade HD inside Retina MBP.

If 256 Go ain't enough, you'll want to add an external HD to host libraries (SSD would be better for this purpose too).
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

mikehalloran wrote:The Retina MBP is not upgradable. The non-Retina is. Both types were made in 2013.

Internal flash drives are a blade type of SSD. There are vendors who have larger Apple OEM units if yours didn't ship with the largest available -- you generally find them on eBay when they are available. Other than that, there is nothing else available that I know about.

OWC has 1T and 2T units for Retina iMacs and the new Mac Pro but I don't recall anything for the Retina MBP. Likewise, the RAM is soldered in.
Many thanks! Looks like I will have to go the external SSD route. How does this look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147377

Why in the world would Apple make it so their consumers can't upgrade a product they purchase from their company? :roll: There must be some monetary advantage for Apple. Any ideas?
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

deckard1 wrote:[...]Why in the world would Apple make it so their consumers can't upgrade a product they purchase from their company? :roll: There must be some monetary advantage for Apple. Any ideas?
Just guessing:
- selling more new computers
- selling big Ram (initial ones, no retrofit from other companies)
- selling big SSDs (initial ones, no retrofit from other companies)
And, please, forget about that so outdated *client satisfaction*...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote: There are vendors who have larger Apple OEM units if yours didn't ship with the largest available -- you generally find them on eBay when they are available...
i told you where to find them. There are system pulls and new available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsung-1 ... 234c65c692

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsung-1 ... 2347aa35a8

You have to move fast when these become available. When they're gone, they're gone and you won't find them anywhere.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro