Yosemite, Trim Enabler, NV RAM reset & Safe Boot etc.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite, Trim Enabler, NV RAM reset & Safe Boot etc.

Post by mikehalloran »

I recently found some Terminal Commands for reassigning BlueTooth from the built-in hardware to an external dongle via the Handoff feature in Yosemite (does not apply to older OS).

I don't recall the sequence but it makes a call to the NV RAM. If you see any line in Terminal that mentions NV RAM, stop, get out of Terminal before you run the command, turn Trim Enabler to Off and reboot (you must reboot after turning it on or off). Now you can run a command that makes a call to the NV RAM.

Afterwards, turn Trim Enabler.app back on and reboot again.

If you accidentally reset the NV RAM and upon reboot, get the circle with the slash, the same instructions posted earlier for restoring your system apply.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Reaffirming that I don’t really need any SSD’s. Every time I question that I’ll come back and read this thread.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bongo_x wrote:Reaffirming that I don’t really need any SSD’s. Every time I question that I’ll come back and read this thread.
Nonsense.

This thread would not exist except that Apple decided to block TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. If you read carefully, you will see that there are no problems; only things you have to remember when using one. All center around not resetting the NV RAM without turning Trim Enabler.app off and rebooting first.

None of this applies to Macs that come OE with SSDs.

I make my living on my iMac and using an SSD saves me 1-2 hours a day, easily. Just for kicks, I worked off my HD last Friday just to see if it was as slow as I remembered. It was worse.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

What Mike said. Reminds me of the old Life cereal commercial… "Mikey likes it!"

Or this one: "Try it, you'll like it!"

Walk on through the night...
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

When I upgraded to 10.10.2 I forgot to turn off Trim Enabler and got the stop sign. Luckily I already had the commands printed out, and again on my iOS devices in the Reading List in Safari.

I had to boot into Recovery Mode, then opened the Terminal, entered the commands and the OS rebooted fine. The commands are straight forward in what they do. But the trim concern should be over if using 10.10.4.

Btw, the command for printing out non-Apple KEXTs is "kextstat -l | grep -v com.apple". If you've had kext signing turned off it might be a good idea to run that command and see what's installed. Usually it's only a few at most.

I think both mikehalloran and Michael Canavan had good points about the use of trim. On sample drives where libraries are set and nothing is added, they're not full, and it's basically just being read from, trim isn't an emergency. Btw, those Samsung XP941s on PCIe cards in 2009-2012 MacPros are fantasic.

If you have to run the commands to boot into OSX and encounter a stop sign, here's a brief explanation of what is happening.

1) "nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1"

disables kext signing (which is what caused the stop sign in the fist place)

2) "touch System/Library/Extensions"

causes the system to update timestamps on all necessary kextcaches

3) "kextcache -u "/Volumes/Your Disk name"

rebuilds kextcache with kext signing off for a re-boot that in effect brings you back to where you were before it all started.

The second version replaces a file and changes permissions.

One more thing, maybe it would be cool to start a security thread at some point if there isn't one. If you travel with a MacBook (especially though airports) there are somethings that in 2015 you should be doing. If it's a desktop in a secure environment, and you don't download untrusted apps, you should be good. But if your desktop Mac is connected to the internet it might be a good idea to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic. A good app for that is Little Snitch.

Learning some basic Terminal commands is a good idea too.

Anyway, I didn't want to go too off topic, but after the 10.10.4 fixes, which dealt with Kect signing which is of course a security feature from Apple, we're going to be seeing more of these types of additions from Apple. Security is going to be increasingly crucial for many of us.

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As everyone probably knows by now, the Terminal Command, sudo trimforce enable in OS 10.10.4 when booted into an SSD makes Trim Enabler.app redundant, at least the free version. You will find Uninstall under Settings.

There are those who like to Trim SSDs by running Disk Utility from a mechanical HD. This can only be done with Trim Enabler.app installed on the HD and turned On on the HD.

sudo trimforce enable is an invalid command when booted into a HD.

Again, if booting from an SSD, the above command line makes Trim Enabler.app redundant unless you like the other tools in the paid version.

If using the paid version, turn the app Off under Trim and turn Notify when Trim is Disabled to Off under Settings. The other tools will still function correctly.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

bongo_x wrote:Reaffirming that I don’t really need any SSD’s. Every time I question that I’ll come back and read this thread.
That's funny. Since the OS are now built on the presumption you are using one, staying away from them will only serve to inhibit system performance.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote:
That's funny. Since the OS are now built on the presumption you are using one, staying away from them will only serve to inhibit system performance.
Ain't that the truth!

When testing Trim Enabler with my internal HD last night, performance was so slow that I had to leave the room while certain things were running – even reboots. I had to keep reminding myself that this used to be normal and was still faster than my old G4 and G5.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Mike, please forgive me if you've covered this earlier but you have a loyof info in this thread and I've gotten confused.

I heard thatApple enabled trim natively in Yosemite 10.10.4, but I'm not clear as to whether that is literally true, orwhether they've just modified the kext issue so you can now use trim enabler without worrying about disabling the security safeguards. Can you simplify this for me?

(This is for a 1TB Crucial M500 in a 2012 9,1 MacBook Pro with a new clean install of 10.10.4.)

Thanks!
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Download and install Trim Enabler and use it to enable trim. Under Yosemite 10.3 or .4 , there are no potential issues.

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Trim Enabler works but I do not recommended it for OS 10.10.4....

Run the Terminal command instead per my post five up.

... If you are manually running TRIM on other drives, you need Trim Enabler installed on the boot drive (it can be a spinner, BTW). You Trim by running Repair Disk from Disk Utility from the Boot drive. Weird but it won't trim remote drives with the app installed. This only works over SATA, eSATA and PCIe.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Trim Enabler works but is not recommended for OS 10.10.4.

Run the Terminal command instead.
Why Mike?

Cindori has updated Trim Enabler to take advantage of the access Apple now allows to the pertinent part of the OS without disabling kext signing. No more workarounds or security issues. For users unfamiliar with Terminal, it would seem there is no reason to discourage use of Cindori's free app.

https://www.cindori.org/safely-enable-t ... l-capitan/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I will see if there's an update before I answer. Let's just say that I was surprised and disappointed by the last version. If the issue still exists, I'll post and, if gone, no need to elaborate. I'm wrapping up a performance as I send this and won't be near my Mac till this evening.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Looks like Trim Enabler is being phased out in favor of a new Cindori app called Disk Sensei. It's a $10 upgrade from Trim Enabler. I might check this out.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

mikehalloran wrote:Trim Enabler works but I do not recommended it for OS 10.10.4....

Run the Terminal command instead per my post five up.

... If you are manually running TRIM on other drives, you need Trim Enabler installed on the boot drive (it can be a spinner, BTW). You Trim by running Repair Disk from Disk Utility from the Boot drive. Weird but it won't trim remote drives with the app installed. This only works over SATA, eSATA and PCIe.

Thanks Mike. Works a treat.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III