Internal + Recording drive options

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gearboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Internal + Recording drive options

Post by gearboy »

Hey all. I'm looking to add a second internal serial ATA to my G5 tower, and was wondering what some of you may be using. I would like to pick up a 250 GB drive, and a duplicate in 6 months to fill the maximum 500GB limit. I would like to stick with the same models for both drive ports.

This second drive will be used for iTunes and DP project backup (before archival to DVD). I have a Glyph 120 Net drive that I use as a record drive (for the time being), and this new internal will also allow me to clear this drive out from time to time in order to do the "poor recording engineer's" defrag. I will not be recording to this drive.

While we are on the subject of recording drives, what is a recomendation for a firewire record drive (not to be used for more than 8 tracks simultaneous recording for now). Does anyone make a 10,000 RPM firewire drive? Is 7200 RPM recommended for 8 tracks at a time? I would like to step up from my Net Drive, which is slowing at 24 tracks playback.

Thanks!

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com