PCIe to PCI Adaptor

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

PCIe to PCI Adaptor

Post by bayswater »

Someone gave me an old PC with a Core2 Duo processor. It's ok to run the Windows trial version of DP, but not fast enough to use regularly. But the interesting thing: it has two PCIe slots, one of which has an adaptor that takes two PCI cards. Is this something you can do with a MacPro? Has anyone tried it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: PCIe to PCI Adaptor

Post by mikehalloran »

Lots of boards where this question is asked. Answers range from 'there's not enough room' to the Mac OS not supporting PCI cards in adapters. More that a few armchair answers: "It should bla, bla, bla..." meaning, of course, that the author hasn't a clue. Not once have I ever seen, "Yes it will work, here's how..."

I would think that, if these worked with the 324 or 424 PCI card, we would have known by now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I suppose I can try it on the PC. I have a PCI 424 and a UAD-1 in a G5, but working in the old PC won't tell me if it works in a Mac.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
directdisk

Post by directdisk »

bayswater wrote:Is this something you can do with a MacPro? Has anyone tried it?
well it seems to clear to do but I haven't had the technical confirmation on the net.

I met psu problem on my main machine, ten years ago, the technician asked me to sign a responsibility discharge for himself in case where motherboard pass out when human disassemble computer's parts despite it's his work. I signed without caution for myself, I'll refuse now to take the same risk (stand up in store, 5 mins to decide) in regard of computer's ethics and prices.

:arrow: if there a safe solution it's very welcome :) (I think I read in mac pro 4,1 specs tech notes that it can accept PCIe but its apple's view :unicorn: not motu view). On the net, it's specified that I have to upgrade to PCI 424 in order to plug in firewire 400 cable, the original one because I don't trust in externals hd cables (manufacturers made shorts black cables almost each time different). My goal with my 1224 (48k 24b) is to record decently my vinyls collection in .aiff or .wav clean splits and sync data in itunes. Nowadays there a cd's nostalgia that created a discreet dac market I can't afford (entry level, cambridge audio magic £320, the acclaimed by (not so old) experts integral gear is £1400).
I wish to complet this audio project that I have since 10 years. my budget accidentally ended. I can't afford an error. Listening to music is for me, as you guys, vital. digital's rule from origin (probably in jpn) : when it's ok you have signal, when something's wrong all lost!
2 ppc64 G4, digital audio was on use for itunes services. G5 on use for internet services. intel macbook 1,1 to repair (flash ram) bios. Upgraded to mac 4,1. Extended to macbook pro 8,2 for mobility bios blocked by linux (long story) hd to change. iPhone4 stolen: a big regret so I had upgrade. I recently bought on ebay an ipad 3 A5 with front to change. PCIe 324 clean, adaptec scsi clean. I need availability to recycle all and before I die