How can I stop redundant Home folder icon from displaying?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

b.g.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How can I stop redundant Home folder icon from displaying?

Post by b.g. »

In the sidebar, clicking the Home folder (StudioG) makes column 1 folders display as expected. But under Public folder, the Home folder icon redundantly displays, which I don't think is normal.

Clicking column 1 Home icon makes column 2 folders display, but again with another redundant Home icon at the bottom. Clicking it creates a 3rd column, and so on.

I have another Yosemite partition that doesn't do this. That is, when I click Home icon in the sidebar, column 1 folders display, but without a redundant Home icon.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
Michael Canavan

Re: How can I stop redundant Home folder icon from displayin

Post by Michael Canavan »

You somehow made an alias of your home folder inside your home folder.
The little arrow on the left of the icon is the indication that the icon is an alias.
It's not hard to do, I've made them by accident as well, it's "command l" to make an alias, so it's possible to accidentally make one when trying to open a file or folder ( command o )..

open your home folder and delete the alias, problem solved.

It's kind of fascinating how it does the whole two mirrors facing each other endless thing in the Finder though. :shock:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

It appears that StudioG (in column one) is a (symbolic) link in your home directory, which points to your home directory. As a test, I've duplicated this on my system and it behaves the same way.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Michael Canavan wrote:You somehow made an alias of your home folder inside your home folder.
The little arrow on the left of the icon is the indication that the icon is an alias.
It's not hard to do, I've made them by accident as well, it's "command l" to make an alias, so it's possible to accidentally make one when trying to open a file or folder ( command o )..

It's kind of fascinating how it does the whole two mirrors facing each other endless thing in the Finder though. :shock:
Looks like we answered him at the same time. :D
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Michael Canavan wrote:You somehow made an alias of your home folder inside your home folder.

Right on!
Facing mirrors. Good description.
Thanks, Michael and cleamon.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4