iTunes IR Remote with VLC Volume Issue

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

iTunes IR Remote with VLC Volume Issue

Post by monkey man »

Searched the web and got lost in the unavoidably-irrelevant threads for 2 hours with the resulting requisite net(!) gain of... exactly zero.

Figured I'd have a better chance of landing a fingerling by dangling my line in this here repository of Certified™ Mac Geniuses, so here goes. Two simple questions:

1) When I hit "up" or "down" on the remote, VLC's volume continues up or down... all the way. I can stop the progression by clicking the opposite direction; from this point onwards adjustment works normally. If I wait, say, 30 seconds and try to make an adjustment the runway-train effect returns. Clicking one, then the other direction whilst pointing the remote away from the MBP, followed promptly by a "normal" adjustment attempt doesn't help, so I'm guessing it's not the remote that's the problem. Ideas?

2) Just wondering what the word on volume levelling is with VLC. I like to watch my vast collection of music videos every night; unfortunately their volumes span a vast range too. Rather than get caught up in comparisons of VLC's "dynamic range effect" (compressor) with the "levelling" effect (limiting I'm guessing), I'd like to know what conclusions / tips / settings others have arrived at. The audio quality of the clips, coupled with a less-than-desirable gain structure through my 828mkIII and on to the Alesis 720DSPs (internal digital trims), have conspired to rob me of the privilege of being able to make meaningful qualitative decisions on the matter. My thinking is that if I can get some ballpark figures (settings) for, say, the limiter (or compressor, whichever is recommended) as well as output volume of VLC, then at least I'd be in a better position to enjoy said clips. I might not hear much of a difference, but then again, I just might. If not, peace of mind will surely suffice.

Thank you in advance, dear beloved 'Cornies!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here