New Audio HiJack version

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Audio HiJack version

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

Much as I love AH, the new version doesn't really add much for me and seems to make things a little more complicated. Still, for $25 I suppose I should support their efforts.

I'd be interested in any observations from current users on the changes. Still sitting on the fence for this one.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Re: New Audio HiJack version

Post by stubbsonic »

Audio Hijack 3 can now have pretty complex routings, that might include multiple outputs, and "insert" effects at different points in the "signal path". It's much more flexible in the routing thing. I like the ability to monitor a different output than what is recorded. Otherwise it provides the same basic functions.

Right now, my uses of it are pretty simple, but I think it will come in handy as the Mac's little audiobus thing (how's that for turning the tables?!)

The only thing it won't do (that would be super cool) -- is publish inputs and outputs to other apps. Right now, that must be done with Soundflower or Jack. I would love to see RA add that, but I got the impression that was out of the question.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Very good points. I'll take the jump. These guys have been great and deserve the support.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Just tried out the demo and it can actually do a neat little trick I've wanted for a while. I can control the volume levels of each app separately. IOW, if Safari is too loud compared to DP I can reduce the level of Safari by creating a path thru a volume control. There used to be a program call Detour that did that and when it went south I really missed it. Given the other enhancements (including basic noise reduction) I'm sold, except my license is not being recognized. Go figure. Email in to sales to help.

Oh, and Detour was from... you guessed it Rogue Amoeba. Duh!

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Took the plunge thanks to super fast support on a Saturday night! Really liking the new version way more than I thought I would. Thanks Rogue Amoeba!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Can it record in the background? I have a couple of apps that work well but stop recording if I bring up another browser window or Word doc while the audio source is playing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

I suspect it can but you can download the trial version and try it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote:Audio Hijack 3 can now have pretty complex routings, that might include multiple outputs, and "insert" effects at different points in the "signal path". It's much more flexible in the routing thing. I like the ability to monitor a different output than what is recorded. Otherwise it provides the same basic functions.

Right now, my uses of it are pretty simple, but I think it will come in handy as the Mac's little audiobus thing (how's that for turning the tables?!)

The only thing it won't do (that would be super cool) -- is publish inputs and outputs to other apps. Right now, that must be done with Soundflower or Jack. I would love to see RA add that, but I got the impression that was out of the question.
Since Rouge Ameba Have taken over Soundflower from Cycling 74 it's possible we might see that.
https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Also good to hear that people are liking the new version, as I haven't installed the old version on my upgraded computer yet, I think I'll just get the upgrade and be done with it. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
billf

Post by billf »

Michael Canavan wrote:Also good to hear that people are liking the new version, as I haven't installed the old version on my upgraded computer yet, I think I'll just get the upgrade and be done with it
FYI, the installing the new version does not overwrite the old version, if that matters to anyone.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

New Audio HiJack version

The old one is named Audio Hijack Pro, the new one simply Audio Hijack.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Since Rouge Ameba Have taken over Soundflower from Cycling 74 it's possible we might see that.
https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/
The latest version of Soundflower I got from the older site had a 2 and 64 channel version which comes in very handy when slaving Logic/EXS24 to DP. Rouge Amoeba seems to have gone back to the 2 and 16 channel setups.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is the installer you need on that GitHub link? It seems like it has a bunch of other stuff in their downloads section.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'll have a look. For now I have a backup. I found the 64 channel version did not have the timing problems I experienced with earlier versions. Hope it's kept up to date.

I see that for an extra $11, you can get AH 3 with Fusion. Seems like a no brainer. I see it can edit MP3s without conversion. Does it do anything else DSP Quattro doesn't do?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You mean Fission. It's great!

I use it for tweaking, trimming, dividing, and tagging mp3's without reconverting. It seems I can even normalize without a conversion (though I'm not sure how that could be). It has a very easy-to-use batch converter.

I also use it to playback rehearsal audio-- it launches quickly, plays mp3's with a zoomable graphic waveform overview, and is easy to get around.

BTW, on AUDIO HIJACK, I just made a little setup where I had Quicktime playing audio into a volume booster, I split that output and had one playing from my computer and the other going to my Airport. I inserted a shift and tried adjusting the delay to compensate, but there wasn't enough resolution in the delay slider. (I sent them a note about it. RA's support is quite good.)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:You mean Fission. It's great!
That's what I mean. Thanks.