First Yosemite 10.10.2 Kernel Panic - not like the others!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: First Yosemite 10.10.2 Kernel Panic - not like the other

Post by mikehalloran »

The latest build of Safari is having quite a problem with adware. I have experienced some of it and the support boards are thick with complaints starting 1/30.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Personally (and I'm not a wacko conspiracist type) I suspect some kind of ad tracking.
MLC, I know you are a savvy user, so no admonishment is intended, but even the most sophisticated users can trip up from time to time.
This couldn't hurt and has helped me:
http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
Sorry for the delay in responding, cuttime. I had to clone my drives and bring the can to the shop. Thanks for the link! I ran the program (easy sneezy!) and no adware was detected. I thought it would find plenty. I use Little Snitch which doesn't allow internet access to specified apps. I suspect that has helped keep that junk off my machines.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are some new adware problems that such software cannot remove.because they cause problems before they are installed.

You click on a page and you get this pop up that you need to install .... can be a software Updater including Adobe Flash, there are a number of them. Anyway, your browser freezes. You know that if you click on the install or update button, this is bad but your browser freezes... If you force quit the browser, the page will try to load when you come back and it feels like an endless loop.

This has become a real issue because the problem is not with your Mac or PC; its on the page you went to. Those adware remover programs can't help because nothing was loaded (unless you clicked on the button). It will keep happening until the page administratior finally believes all the complaints, finds the hidden code and removes it from the page.

Here's the only thing I've found that works: when you see the window and nothing responds, you can still click on the url bar. Erase the url, type in another web site and Enter. The page will change and the pop-up screen goes away.

Banjohangout.org is one of those sites with a problem right now. The admin was able to fix it so that it can be viewed in FireFox but Chrome and Safari still have problems.

Removing aware extensions manually is easy but no fun. I was fooled about three weeks ago by one pretending to be a Flash updater. It installed into FireFox, Safari and Chrome. I had to log in with Opera to find out how to remove it.

Having learned the lesson, if I get a pop up that Flash player needs updating, I go to Adobe and download the updaters if needed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro