Suggestions? Minimum requirements for DP8 / Reason 8

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

SCK777
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Suggestions? Minimum requirements for DP8 / Reason 8

Post by SCK777 »

Hello. "Long time lurker" here---been digging this forum since 4.5....secretly admiring the wisdom of Sooshie, the wit of MidiLifeCrisis, the fortitude of James, etc etc...thanks!

Help please-->Background: Compared to most of you pro cats my rig is absurdly humble, and it's clear that I can't get away with much running both DP8 and Reason 8 currently---just tried to record stereo out from R8 ReWired into DP to no avail, couple a bars and dang! (Buffer maxed at 2048 -- 48kHz/24 ---and granted I had 11 Combinator instruments playing--tangent: when I get home from the day job I'll test the limits....also my FW port just croaked so I was recording to the internal drive etc.

Question: how much more firepower do I need and how to prioritize :
Amount of cores over processor speed?
Would a SSD help?

Was hoping to get the newest Mini expecting like many at least a fast quad core i7.....well you know the rest of the story What the heck?!?! (wah wah wah)

Is it possible I get anywhere stronger and faster with an investment of say around a grand or what would you recommend I do to maximize my capabilities within my limits? Thanks in advance!
mikehalloran

Re: Suggestions? Minimum requirements for DP8 / Reason 8

Post by mikehalloran »

OK, not really enough info to answer your question fully. For example, are you buying new or used? Neither have I ever usd Reason.

Anyway... An i7 rocks over an i5 in certain CPU intensive tasks due to its FPU which an i5 does not have.

An SSD is not just 'snappier' -- it makes a big difference for most of the things you do for a Mac. It will have little impact on CPU tasks, however (back to the i7). Unfortunately, at this time, the Mini has a 256G SSD or a 1T Fusion drive as alternates to the slooooow 1T hard drive. Getting the 256G internal SSD and running a Thunderbolt or USB 3 external dock or housing with a 1T SSD will be much faster than the Fusion drive.

When DP 8 came out, we were told that, with a few VIs, you are ok with 8G RAM. You can update to 16G only at the time of purchase - +$200 probably well spent since RAM is soldered; you can't upgrade later.

If you can find a 2012 Mini i7, you can upgrade to 16G RAM and install 1 or 2 SSDs and use an inexpensive 3G spinner for Time Machine.

A better recommendation that won't cost that much more: A 27" iMac i7 from the Apple Refurb Store with a 1T SSD and 16G RAM. Great monitor and a lot faster.

You still need something for Time Machine. That can be an inexpensive USB external.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SCK777

Post by SCK777 »

mikehalloran wrote:OK, not really enough info to answer your question fully. For example, are you buying new or used? Neither have I ever usd Reason.

Anyway... An i7 rocks over an i5 in certain CPU intensive tasks due to its FPU which an i5 does not have.

An SSD is not just 'snappier' -- it makes a big difference for most of the things you do for a Mac. It will have little impact on CPU tasks, however (back to the i7). Unfortunately, at this time, the Mini has a 256G SSD or a 1T Fusion drive as alternates to the slooooow 1T hard drive. Getting the 256G internal SSD and running a Thunderbolt or USB 3 external dock or housing with a 1T SSD will be much faster than the Fusion drive.

When DP 8 came out, we were told that, with a few VIs, you are ok with 8G RAM. You can update to 16G only at the time of purchase - +$200 probably well spent since RAM is soldered; you can't upgrade later.

If you can find a 2012 Mini i7, you can upgrade to 16G RAM and install 1 or 2 SSDs and use an inexpensive 3G spinner for Time Machine.

A better recommendation that won't cost that much more: A 27" iMac i7 from the Apple Refurb Store with a 1T SSD and 16G RAM. Great monitor and a lot faster.

You still need something for Time Machine. That can be an inexpensive USB external.
Ah Mike, thank you Sir for a very informative and timely reply.
Sounds like refurb may be the best bang for the buck. Cheers
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

SCK777 wrote: Is it possible I get anywhere stronger and faster with an investment of say around a grand or what would you recommend I do to maximize my capabilities within my limits? Thanks in advance!
If you are even modestly handy, take a look at this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58848

Single CPU 2009 4,1 under $700 + Single Xeon X5680, under $200 = $900 beast.
Add Monitor, RAM, SSD, upgrade GPU as per your needs, desires, and budget.
Blows away any other option at this price range and offers the benefit of extreme expandability. Only downside: no Thunderbolt.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
SCK777

Post by SCK777 »

HCMarkus wrote:
SCK777 wrote: Is it possible I get anywhere stronger and faster with an investment of say around a grand or what would you recommend I do to maximize my capabilities within my limits? Thanks in advance!
If you are even modestly handy, take a look at this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58848

Single CPU 2009 4,1 under $700 + Single Xeon X5680, under $200 = $900 beast.
Add Monitor, RAM, SSD, upgrade GPU as per your needs, desires, and budget.
Blows away any other option at this price range and offers the benefit of extreme expandability. Only downside: no Thunderbolt.
I like this option theoretically. Thanks HC I'll look into this