Compatability issues using Burn for DVDs

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

guitron45
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Compatability issues using Burn for DVDs

Post by guitron45 »

Hello out there, I took a DVD of Lucius'set at KEXP, to a friends house to introduce him to my favorite rock band. At home this disk wouldn't play on my DVD player. In addition to being a good jazz guitarist he's pretty up on gadgets and electronics [retired Regional trouble shooter for Motorola].

His first attempt failed also and he went to a different system and found the problem. Burn put the dvd inside a folder. After opening the folder we were able to view watch the set. I am unaware of anything I did or didn't do to have the movie get printed and placed within a folder.

I just remembered this.... when I began the process, if I had video selected in the menu across the top, the files I would have wanted to burn were greyed out. I had to change to data or copy I forget which, in order for the movie files on my desktop to be available to Burn. I guess that's another question. These files were downloaded from youtube, are there multiple file type used there? I gave the movie a title, that's the only thing I did besides use the open dialog to get the movie into Burn.

In case anyone wondered.... my buddy liked their music.

Ron
MacPro Nehalem quad core, 2.66gHz, 8gb DDR1066 ram, OS 10.85, DP 8.05 1224/MTPAV, UAD 2 card, Kontakt 3/B4 II, CAD VX2 tube mic, 2 Avalon 737SP, Tascam M2516 8 buss recording mixer, Lexicon PCM91, Eastman 910, Eastman El Rey2 Fender Blues Deluxe, Handbuilt 30 watt Fender Princeton kit w/Weber Cermic 12", 64 Jazz bass I got new. and a 30hp orange diesel tractor!! 4wd 2 speed axel, named kioti.
guitron45

Re: Compatability issues using Burn for DVDs

Post by guitron45 »

Just curious.... there a ton of very smart people on this forum. I'm surprised the were no requests for clarification or more info.

Is it because you don't want to be labeled a commie pinko collaborater to a possible pirate/terrorist perp? I don't think I confessed to anything having to do with piracy. Do you?

Ron
MacPro Nehalem quad core, 2.66gHz, 8gb DDR1066 ram, OS 10.85, DP 8.05 1224/MTPAV, UAD 2 card, Kontakt 3/B4 II, CAD VX2 tube mic, 2 Avalon 737SP, Tascam M2516 8 buss recording mixer, Lexicon PCM91, Eastman 910, Eastman El Rey2 Fender Blues Deluxe, Handbuilt 30 watt Fender Princeton kit w/Weber Cermic 12", 64 Jazz bass I got new. and a 30hp orange diesel tractor!! 4wd 2 speed axel, named kioti.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Or maybe nobody has the problem? Are you talking about the OS burn feature? If so I'd have to go with user error. There's more than one way to burn. DVD. Choose wisely.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I replied to your other post on the matter. One of the hazards of posting similar questions in two places.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 60#p497560

You never answered any of my questions. Anyway, they all boil down to what MLC told you:
I'd have to go with user error. There's more than one way to burn. DVD. Choose wisely.
The DVD burn feature of Toast 12 is now available in the App Store. The full version is available from many resellers (much cheaper than direct).

I have no issues using Toast 12 with Verbatim Datalife DVD and DVD-DL blanks. I use the OS Burn feature only for data DVDs and never have a problem with it.

Toast 11 had a couple of bugs that were never resolved.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

Hello Mike I hadn't seen your questions when I posted but thank you for trying to help. BURN is the name of the application I used to burn the DVD.

As I stated originally, I never saw anything that looked like an option to put it in a folder or let it stand alone.

It's possible to see MLC's and your post came after my reply to my question.
If you have some questions they will probably helpful to getting at the solution. Did you send them as personal or private msg.? I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Ron
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

My experience with DVD burning has led me to believe that it is a very dark art. The combination of software, hardware burner, physical medium, and hardware player can yield a near infinite number of results. I have never had any luck burning a video DVD with Burn. I've had moderate results with Toast, however the quality is generally very poor. I've had pretty good results with iDVD. The best medium for me is Taiyo Yuden. I would always massage the video file with HandBrake to maximize the quality:size ratio. Be prepared to create lots of coasters.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also, if you're on external burners don't put it at the end of a daisy chain. Direct to the machine is your best bet. Toast sucks at video. iDVD has been my go to but I do have Compressor so I'll give that a shot on my next set. I have a couple of hours of silent films to prep for a Feb gig so that should be a good test.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My problems with DVDs has usually been with the players, not the burners. I've never had a DVD pass a verification (using the Finder, iDVD, Toast, and so on) that didn't work on at least some players, but have had some players that would not deal with some DVDs. The only patter I think I've seen, ironically, is that really cheap mystery brand players seem to be happy with anything, while expensive tony brand players are often quite fussy.

Makes me wonder if this is because of attempts to implement poorly designed copy protection techniques on some players that are overly cautious.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

cuttime wrote:My experience with DVD burning has led me to believe that it is a very dark art. The combination of software, hardware burner, physical medium, and hardware player can yield a near infinite number of results. I have never had any luck burning a video DVD with Burn. I've had moderate results with Toast, however the quality is generally very poor. I've had pretty good results with iDVD. The best medium for me is Taiyo Yuden. I would always massage the video file with HandBrake to maximize the quality:size ratio. Be prepared to create lots of coasters.
Thank you cuttime I appreciate the heads up

Looks like I didn't know what I was getting to. Mike seemed to be of the opinion that it took a lot of effort to get a good result. I guess I should be happy with the result I got. The quality is very good `looks like the same rez from mac player of the original download from youtube. I only have to do this two more times and I can go back to audio.

Ron
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Or maybe nobody has the problem? Are you talking about the OS burn feature? If so I'd have to go with user error. There's more than one way to burn. DVD. Choose wisely.
Thanks MLC, Burn is the name of the app I used. User error is good bet.

Ron
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

mikehalloran wrote:I replied to your other post on the matter. One of the hazards of posting similar questions in two places.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 60#p497560

You never answered any of my questions. Anyway, they all boil down to what MLC told you:
I'd have to go with user error. There's more than one way to burn. DVD. Choose wisely.
The DVD burn feature of Toast 12 is now available in the App Store. The full version is available from many resellers (much cheaper than direct).

I have no issues using Toast 12 with Verbatim Datalife DVD and DVD-DL blanks. I use the OS Burn feature only for data DVDs and never have a problem with it.

Toast 11 had a couple of bugs that were never resolved.
Hi Mike I'm embarrassed to tell you I forgot that I'd posted in another part of the forum. I owe you and espresso!! I didn't understand what that link was for. Sorry for my thickness....

Ron
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Also, if you're on external burners don't put it at the end of a daisy chain. Direct to the machine is your best bet. Toast sucks at video. iDVD has been my go to but I do have Compressor so I'll give that a shot on my next set. I have a couple of hours of silent films to prep for a Feb gig so that should be a good test.
Well I'm learning something from my troubles I'm pleased about that. Thanks for the information.

Ron
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

I tried the IDVD app and if I could get it to do its job and stop trying to make what I want to do into a commercial for itself, I'd be thrilled. I just didn't get that app at all. It's possible that I'm missing something vital about it's use. But all the production crap is a big turn off for me. I have been away from TV since `83 and turn commercials down on the radio. I have an aversion to marketing in general. There times when it can be useful if you looking for information about some particular item but in general I can't bear to see or hear it.

Ron