Getting MIDI out of iPad via Fastlane

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting MIDI out of iPad via Fastlane

Post by philbrown »

I use an iPad app called OnSong for my lyrics for live gigs. It has the ability to send pgm changes per song so I could control a couple of my foot pedals (Strymon Mobius and Echolution 2) and let OnSong send patch changes. So I bought the iPad camera connection kit which supposedly allows connection to a MIDI interface. I happen to have a MOTU Fastlane I'm not using and it would be perfect, since I could mount it under my pedal board taking up zero pedal space. But when I plug in the Fastlane, the iPad does recognize it but says it's not compatible. Why would it not be compatible? And how do you tell what interface IS compatible? Whatever the solution I'd still like it to be super compact if possible. Any ideas?

Sorry if this in the wrong place- I wasn't sure where to post it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Re: Getting MIDI out of iPad via Fastlane

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't used a Fastlane in years but I remember that it needed a driver.

iOS only works with Class Compliant devices i. e. those that don't require drivers. Here's a sample of what's available from Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1059--iPad_i ... Interfaces

If you have an iPad 4 or Air, iPhone 5 or later, make certain that any 30 pin device works through the Lightening adapter-- most do but some don't. None of the currently available interfaces use the Apple Camera Kit.

It's a buyer's market for 30 pin interfaces these days. Apple discontinued the connector two years ago. Manufacturers and retailers are trying to clear the shelves and warehouses. Note that the 30 pin Griffin is $110 less than its Lightening sibling.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Re: Getting MIDI out of iPad via Fastlane

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:I haven't used a Fastlane in years but I remember that it needed a driver.

iOS only works with Class Compliant devices i. e. those that don't require drivers.
OK, that's where my confusion was. I could have sworn I've used the Fastlane without drivers but I guess I'm mistaken, because I just plugged it into my Mac Pro and it's not showing up. I'll look for "Class Compliant" then.

As always, thanks Mike for your help.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce