Thunderbolt external drive

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Thunderbolt external drive

Post by dosuna11 »

Went to OWC and looked a TB external drives. Buffalo Mercury Lace. Anyone have ans experience with any of these?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
BKK-OZ

Re: Thunderbolt external drive

Post by BKK-OZ »

I've got one of the Promise Pegasus R4's.
I put in 4x2TB Toshiba drives - set as a RAID array, so ~6TB capacity.
Very snappy.
Pretty blue lights.

A drive went down on me the other day, good thing I had my unit set up as RAID 5 - the array is rebuilding in the background right now, so far, looks like it will come back OK.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for posting the update.

Are you able to read S.M.A.R.T. status in Disk Utility? If so, it will say Verified. If not, it will read Not Available (or similar) when you click on the drive icon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, I picked up a TB dock which I am very happy with. The USB3 speed is actually comparable as the speed is basically determined by the SATA drives you use. Even older laptop (2.5") drives fit and I have a few of those . Nice for fast storage in a pinch.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

This also posted in separate thread, here in case it is of interest:

- - - - - - -
Hooray for me.

Although I am down ~$100, I am pretty happy.

1 out of my 4 drives failed, but even so, the Pegasus kept chuffing along, until I had time to go and get a new drive. After throwing the new drive in and couple of clicks (and several hours) later, my RAID array is back up, and all my little leds are blue again, the nasty red one banished.

I know I should do more backing up, archiving, etc. but knowing that I have a degree of (pretty cheap and easy) redundancy built into my operational set-up does bring me some comfort.
- - - - - -
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:FWIW, I picked up a TB dock which I am very happy with. The USB3 speed is actually comparable as the speed is basically determined by the SATA drives you use. Even older laptop (2.5") drives fit and I have a few of those . Nice for fast storage in a pinch.
What brand of drive did you load into your TB dock?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Western Digital and Hitachi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS