Spontaneous Rebooting Woes

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spontaneous Rebooting Woes

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Quick note: Copy the install to a drive outside applications. It will delete itself after installing! Staples was selling 64GB flash (thumb) drives yesterday for $24.99 ($45 off the regular price). I got two and put the Yosemite installer on on - for safe keeping.

Oh, BTW, when my graphics card went last week the symptom was a re-boot loop. *-core back in the studio as of today. I haven't tested the repair yet, but I'll get to it in a day or so. Melrose Mac is an authorized Apple reseller and repair station. Excellent service and they don't cheat you on the cost. The $50 diagnostic fee went towards the repair as well. Too bad that's such a trek for you. They have a shop in Hollywood. Cool place, too.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Yikes! Good luck finding the culprit. I have had good luck with my 5770 and three displays, but two are native DP and one is VGA.

As far as other graphics cards go, folks are running many more current cards, NVidia and AMD.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The presumption (which I also accept) is that I had migrated from as far back as Tiger (maybe even earlier than that) and some "legacy" launchers were active and interfering with the current system.
I spent a few hours on the phone w/ AppleCare techs when 10.8.2 came out to cleanse myself of the same thing.

You do have access to AppleCare if you recently updated to Yosemite or bought a new piece of Apple hardware. Contact them through Apple Support, check the right box for OS upgrade and have them call you back for free. They are pretty good when it comes to reading crash reports and telling you what needs to be purged. If not resolved, use the case number to get past the screeners on call backs.

I did a clean install when I went to my SSD in October. It took a few hours to get up and running plus another three days for the apps I rarely use (a couple of hours at a time, not three days straight!). You can search Time Machine and copy files to your new drive (only possible if you allowed TM to be indexed).

iLok authorizations were not an issue after I installed the latest drivers. For internet authorization (MasterWriter 2 and others), I de-activated from the old drive first so it wasn't a problem. Finale 2014 gave me no grief neither did serial# activations. For some of my plugs, I was able to go to the web sites and download the latest versions of my license files. There were a few where I had to do a Time Machine search to find certain installers or license files. All in all, by planning, I did not have to call tech support for anyone to get everything working.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Spontaneous Rebooting Woes

Post by James Steele »

It looks like I have things cured by doing a reformat of my SSD and fresh install. I had migrated over and over and built up a lot of junk so was overdue to clean house. I don't think the the processor swap was the culprit here. I'm just going to be darn sure to clone as soon as I have a nice stable system again. It's going to be along slog with the reinstalls. BTW, I must say, as I was getting LiquidMix up and running, I forgot what a nifty piece of gear it is. And it's amazing that it works in Yosemite with 32 Lives! Just make sure the Liquid Mix plug is set to real-time as always, but then make sure to "Prevent App Nap" in the Liquid Mix app. The latter step will assure you have responsive meters on the LM hardware.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Bravo! :D