eeeeke! dead drive in my Promise R4

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

eeeeke! dead drive in my Promise R4

Post by BKK-OZ »

Nasty red light came up on one of the Toshibas in my Promise Pegasus R4.

Makes me sad.

Fortunately, I had it configured as a RAID array, so when the replacement arrives tomorrow, I should be able to throw in the new drive and have it rebuild all the data.

Hopefully.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: eeeeke! dead drive in my Promise R4

Post by BKK-OZ »

Hooray for me.

Although I am down ~$100, I am pretty happy.

1 out of my 4 drives failed, but even so, the Pegasus kept chuffing along, until I had time to go and get a new drive. After throwing the new drive in and couple of clicks (and several hours) later, my RAID array is back up, and all my little leds are blue again, the nasty red one banished.

I know I should do more backing up, archiving, etc. but knowing that I have a degree of (pretty cheap and easy) redundancy built into my operational set-up does bring me some comfort.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku