maddening simple iPad questions i can't find on search!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

4leafplanet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

maddening simple iPad questions i can't find on search!

Post by 4leafplanet »

My girlfriend is letting me use her iPad4 w/ Retina for recording some music with Animoog/Geo. I CANNOT mess up her machine! :brucelee:

Is it possible to use her iPad (with Animoog bought at her account) with my Macbook Pro without it sync-ing? (is this whole sync thing just for Photos/music?... she's not an iPad expert herself & cant tell me)

Also, its fun but Animoog keeps slipping away off its desktop & the next app swipes in while I'm playing it... is there a way to strap the damn thing to the surface?

As well, I'm trying to figure out how to get Geo to control a Kontakt 5 synth. Right now i'm thinking about using the Network Connection as i found a YT vid showing how. --Again, is this possible with an iPad/macbook which are not sync-ed together?

Is USB-to-Lightning the same as Camera Kit-to-Lightning? I have searched all over the net but cant find a strait answer about the cheapest way to bypass the iPad audio converter & headphone preamp via Lightning.

As far as i understand, the Camera kit wont allow audio but the USB/Lightning will? And MIDI is better thru Airport? It would be cool if Lightning would work both for MIDI and audio (not at the same time). Both jobs are needed for my project.

i would really appreciate an experienced iPad user helping sort this weirdness out. I'm running out of time.

gratefully,
4LP
DP7.24, MacbookPro7.1, (C2D, 2.4GHz, 1 Processor, 8GB Memory, Bus Speed 1.07, L2 Cache 3Mb,) SnowLeopard, FireFace 800, MCU, MidiSport4x4, LaCie d2 HDs using FW800, SitecomUSB2.0 powered hub, Casio Privia PX-310 electric piano.
cuttime

Re: maddening simple iPad questions i can't find on search!

Post by cuttime »

Syncing is not necessary. To lock the app down disable Multitouch Gestures in the "General" settings. You can generate MIDI with the iPad over Wi-Fi easily, and you will have much less latency if you use an adhoc network connection than going through a router. Note that under Yosemite you can no longer encrypt the connection. I can't speak to the hard connections since I don't use them.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

And syncing won't just happen by default, either. If iTunes launches when you connect it, just quit.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Also, AudioShare and Audiobus will accomplish whatever you will ever need to do with iOS audio files.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Camera Kit will pass audio but I don't know anyone using it anymore. Use a dedicated interface or microphone.

The headphone jack can be used as a mono audio input with the right TRRS plug.

Stereo and multi-channel audio require some form of usb to lightening adapter. There are many such interfaces on the market nowadays. A few older ones work through the 30pin-Lightening adapter like my Line6 keyboard -- that is not a given, however. I record directly through a Zoom iQ5 stereo mic.

Any usb audio interface that requires drivers will not work with iOS even with the Lightening adapter. It must be Class Compliant and even that is no guarantee.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The iPad 4 (retina) does NOT have an audio input in the headphone jack as some earlier models may have. (I've confirmed this.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:The iPad 4 (retina) does NOT have an audio input in the headphone jack as some earlier models may have. (I've confirmed this.)
That is incorrect. I have an iPad 1 and an iPad Air (5). My daughter has an ipad 4. All will record audio through the headphone jack. You do need a device with the correct TRRS plug such as the iRig or one of the mono mics out there. A standard TRS stereo plug or TS mono plug does not work.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/

Apparently these will work with Android devices, too.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
4leafplanet

Post by 4leafplanet »

thank you so much for the info!!

I've not got a smart phone or know anything about iOS. But now will make a deadline of Tuesday with some great new sounds....

cheers!
4Lp
DP7.24, MacbookPro7.1, (C2D, 2.4GHz, 1 Processor, 8GB Memory, Bus Speed 1.07, L2 Cache 3Mb,) SnowLeopard, FireFace 800, MCU, MidiSport4x4, LaCie d2 HDs using FW800, SitecomUSB2.0 powered hub, Casio Privia PX-310 electric piano.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

BTW, the headphone jack does output stereo. With the right splitter cable you can run the iDevice output to a pair of analog inputs.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:The iPad 4 (retina) does NOT have an audio input in the headphone jack as some earlier models may have. (I've confirmed this.)
That is incorrect. I have an iPad 1 and an iPad Air (5). My daughter has an ipad 4. All will record audio through the headphone jack. You do need a device with the correct TRRS plug such as the iRig or one of the mono mics out there. A standard TRS stereo plug or TS mono plug does not work.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/

Apparently these will work with Android devices, too.

I have a TRRS plug that works with my android phone, but does not work with my iPad 4. I also read in other places that it did not have an audio input. Even the Apple specs aren't clear about it. I'm glad to find that I was incorrect, but was not able to get it to work on either my iPad2 or iPad4 after many attempts.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a TRRS plug that works with my android phone, but does not work with my iPad 4. I also read in other places that it did not have an audio input. Even the Apple specs aren't clear about it. I'm glad to find that I was incorrect, but was not able to get it to work on either my iPad2 or iPad4 after many attempts.
It's weird -- I'll give you that.
BTW, the headphone jack does output stereo. With the right splitter cable you can run the iDevice output to a pair of analog inputs.
Absolutely. I do that often.